cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brapineau
Explorer
  • Pros - Massively powerful tool to create games for people who find C#, C++ or even bolt/blueprints scripting too challenging. The tools are extremely intuitive and actually help you to learn the basics of coding.

• The cons - worlds aren't monetized for the creators spending vast amounts of time creating spaces that are attractive to consumers. - incentives are key here.

• Petpeeves - pointer for typing from a distance needs to be added for keyboard.
    We NEED to be able to drag and drop x,y,z data from obj properties onto the scripting page. Typing this is a huge hastle, especially with the first issue noted. Lastly.... object variable is confusing at times. It does not need a name, but when named it can confuse people...it seems as if the object is connected, when it isn't. We should be able to drag and drop onject name from properties onto the variable pane & have it auto populate type and nomenclature.
22 Comments
Brapineau
Explorer

Another thing I'd love to see is video embedding. I'm assuming as a competitor to YouTube, Facebook video would be the source for video... with that... it would be extremely beneficial to have a privacy filter for videos uploaded to be only visible by horizon users. I'd like to provide better immersion, but not sacrifice my dignity when creating compelling content that would add to a world's story.

Expanding on that, be able to host actual Facebook adds in an environment would be an amazing way to bring certain worlds to life with digital billboards.. perhaps this could be a way to provide world monetization. If you could deliver this with minimal impact to performance, it would be a great benefit.

Glass. We need glass.... one way to do this would be able to provide a shell function and apply unlit to objects. Shelling would also open up a world of possibilities for us.

Also I'm sure you guys are aware, but most of the tutorials are bugged. I'd also like to see a deeper explanation and learning experience. Id even be willing to pay for classes from tutors, to further learn scripting.

Thanks!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Agreed, especially regarding Monetization and Embedded Videos.

I have a feeling that both are on the roadmap. Monetization will certainly help with the Metaverse goals!

Prior to Horizon, we had Facebook Spaces. I tried that for a bit before it was pulled off the market. Facebook Spaces did support embedded videos and images, including 360. This app was the precursor to Horizon, so I am certain we'll see the embedded media sooner rather than later.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

I'm interested in checking out Horizons when it launches. But that's mostly because I'm curious to see Facebook's attempt at a VR Social app. However, I don't think it's going to be as successful and revolutionary as Facebook thinks it will. And that's in large part because Facebook has already proven they can't moderate for spit. I decided to check what was showing in Venues yesterday. And within minutes I'd had 10 kids getting in my face. Three of them were constantly punching me. Five were screaming incoherently into their mics. And the last two kept trying to grab my avatar between the legs while yelling at me to change my avatar into a girl. I got away from them, and found a concert I thought might be interesting. And almost immediately ran into another group of kids, who this time kept getting in my face and either cussing me out or using racial slurs. Stuff like this... is not unusual. For every sane and reasonable person I encounter who I can talk with, I encounter 3-10 children who behave shockingly bad.

There's a reason I don't use VR Chat and uninstalled Rec Room after two sessions.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@Pixie40 - for RecRoom, you can create Private Rooms for you and your friends. You get the to enjoy everything RecRoom has to offer, minus the general public.

It's no different than Facebook itself, where you will have a lousy time if you open up your Profile to the public and just accept anyone as your friend.

This is pretty much how society works, no? Go stand downtown and try to make friends with every stranger who walks by you. It's not quite the same as making friends at work, school, or other close social circles.

I have access to Horizon, and it addresses this even better. When you walk in to a public area, if someone annoys you, then you can just Block them and POOF, they are gone.

You can't judge these Social VR Apps based on your experience with the open public; you have to use the Privacy/Friends features that come with these Apps in order to get the best outcome.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

The problem always comes down to... these social apps all require you to deal with the screaming mass of foul mouthed kids (who probably shouldn't even be using a VR headset) in order to find anyone you want to be friends with.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@Pixie40 wrote:

these social apps all require you to deal with the screaming mass of foul mouthed kids (who probably shouldn't even be using a VR headset) in order to find anyone you want to be friends with.

I think the typical expectation is that people tend to have friends/family outside of these social apps. My first enjoyable run through RecRoom was with a family member.

Even my presence on Facebook over the last 10+ years involves people that I first met in-person. I don't have a single friend on my FB List that I didn't already know beforehand.

I can see where people can use Social Media Apps to meet "new" friends; but for me and most people that I know personally (friends, family colleagues), we tend to use them as ways to extend the enjoyment of "existing" relationships.

For example, thanks to Facebook I get to communicate with old friends from Highschool. Without Facebook, we certainly wouldn't keep touch as often, and laugh at so many things together.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Remember, not everyone is a social butterfly. Some of us were the awkward nerd that constantly got bullied for wearing glasses and actually enjoying a good book. Some of us have only ever had one actual friend at a time, and it was the same person for half of their life. Almost nobody I know IRL uses Facebook. My dad use to, but that was only for games like Mafia Wars and Farmville. He abandoned Facebook years ago because he realized all those 'games' were just pointless money sinks with no actual gameplay. My mom and sister use Facebook, but neither really run in the same social circles as me.

I mostly use Venues to watch concerts and things like the Mars 2020 launch, while finding people with shared interests to talk with. Maybe even make a friend or two. I'd thought maybe VR Chat could serve the same purpose. And a couple times I actually had fun. But mostly it was just annoying kids being a-holes. In fact, that's what Venues has mostly become too since they changed it to the current format. And I worry that Horizon is going to have the same fate. I mean sure, you can mute those kids in Venue. Assuming of course you can actually target them, which often is easier said then done due to them moving erratically.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@Pixie40 - fair point. Well there's always communities like this!

There are often attempts to organize community/multiplayer sessions on this forum. When Horizon launches, it would be great to hang with you and others in there in our own sessions.

😁

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

I really do hope I'm wrong. I just am afraid that between parents being unwilling to actually pay attention to what their kids are playing or how their kids are acting online (it's just an electronic babysitter to them) and Facebook's track record for not moderating the community even when they claim they will... I fear it'll become yet another wasteland of screaming profanity and racism spewing pre-teens. If that does happen, it'll be a real shame because things like VR Chat, Alt Space, and Horizons should be the first step towards a true VR community like is seen in so much media.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@Pixie40 wrote:

between parents being unwilling to actually pay attention to what their kids are playing or how their kids are acting online (it's just an electronic babysitter to them) and Facebook's track record for not moderating the community even when they claim they will... I fear it'll become yet another wasteland of screaming profanity and racism spewing pre-teens. If that does happen

Honestly, you are describing the public school system as well. I have lots of friends who are teachers, and the dilemma is the same. There are parents who don't pay attention to what their kids are doing and just send them to school to let the teachers sort it out. 

I don't feel that we can expect Teachers and Facebook Moderators to solve these types of problems.

Speaking to Social Media Apps specifically (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc), we have the ability to "block" people. We have the ability to keep our social interactions Private.

Like I said, the problem is easily solved by you, the individual, developing your own social circles and limiting your interactions with all forms of Social Media through those social circles.

But if you are going to insist on interacting with the general public, then those interactions will be as expected. You have tools at your disposal (e.g. Blocking someone), but we can't really expect an external entity to solve an aspect of Life itself that has permeated throughout human history: Some people are annoying. 😅