'I've personally tested and used this method to completely wipe out stick drift from anywhere from 3 to 6 months no fiddling with settings required!
I've bought several replacement controllers over the years to replace the ones with unplayable stick drift and the cost started adding up quickly.
The solution you might ask, well its $8 and a trip to your local auto zone. Mass airflow sensor cleaner!
Surprisingly, I've had great success with this method follow it step by step and you'll soon find their back to normal
Please do this outside or in a well ventilated area ! (This method does not work for Liquid damaged controllers)
1. get the Mass airflow sensor cleaner, you can find this at autozone, amazon, or Napa autoparts.
2. remove the battery from your drifting controller, and put on a set of disposable gloves. Nitrile works best in my opinion.
3. using the long nozzle attachment, spray in and around the joy stick. taking care to saturate and massage it in by moving the stick in every direction. Don't flood it a quick 1 second spray will do and it dries extremely quickly
4. you may repeat the process as much as you like, (spraying, massaging, drying, repeat.) 2-4 treatments works best.
5. replace the battery and wipe off excess cleaner using a damp (NOT WET) paper towel.
6.get back to slaying undead hordes or whatever your fancy is!
Duly noted I've personally used this method on both controllers I have and have repeated this as of today, 7 times. I've found no issues with impacting other performance of joysticks ,buttons , electrical, or for that matter tracking.
Let it be said TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK, I've used this as a last ditch effort to remove the unplayable drift in my own controllers however I will not be legally obligated/liable to reimburse you for damages incurred using this method. Things happen, electrons are tiny and finnicky and things do happen.
This method has been my go to for drift in any forms of controllers including xbox and PS4.
For those who want more info on how it works continue reading, for those who got an itchy trigger finger happy hunting you've reached the end!
Stick drift occurs when oils, dirt, and skin cells (or that beer you spilled on your controller last night drunkenly playing that one chat game we all know and love) makes its way into the sensor module obviously messing up the sensitive components inside. This being said it starts to ***** with the tolerances inside the joystick or buttons thus, in turn giving false inputs when no user input is taking place.
Mass airflow sensor cleaner is used to remove grim and other **** from the sensor that tells your engine in your car how much air to give the throttle body so your car can burn gas/petrol (for our UK friends) more efficiently. The cleaner is designed to be non conductive so you don't have to worry about damaging sensitive electronic components. Dont ask me how the chemistry works behind it, I failed chem, im more of a design tech/ physics guy. That being said Have fun, Be Safe, and Happy Hunting!
Lots of love from my Headset to yours !
If you wish to get into contact with me for assistance/questions you can do so on oculus @Bliss_in_Balance or on snapchat @Xcr1msondeathX