cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blindjew
Explorer

The Oculus Quest 2 has some great potential benefits for those with low vision and even those who're legally blind. As one such person, I've sought various ways to attain accessibility, and I found that within VR headsets, I've better vision than without. This isn't an entirely new idea, as digital magnifiers are a common tool, but a less common one is Digital Glasses. Several companies make them, but they're very expensive and have a very narrow field through them. The passthrough functionality of the Quest 2 could give some great accessibility/mobility capabilities if zooming/magnification software were implemented into the core system. This would also aid in many who have troubles readying/navigating the basic menus that exist, as I do. Eitehr the ability to zoom existing windows or to create a Magnifier window within the Oculus Quest 2 display that you can manipulate the zoom amount and focus it around to view at menus, throughout your environment and more. This could prove useful on so many levels for so many users, not just the low vision and legally blind ones and give a less-expensive alternative to Digital Glasses, which cost anywhere from $2k to $5k in price. Windows 10 has a base magnification software, and Android has its own zooming software in the core system. Why not Oculus Quest 2?

10 Comments
MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there,

Thanks for sharing your ideas. We agree the accessibility is such an important aspect for the future of VR. We don't have anything to announce about changes to Passthrough at the moment, but rest assured we are not done with improvements. 

lildebsmile
Explorer

Reading accessibility option for browser would be greatly appreciated. Like a button that'll read me the articles or the option to select reader for highlighted text I choose. And to continue reading on as I find another article. Basically, not to suddenly stop If I leave that one But, to simply offer this option within browser would, like I said, would be much appreciated. Thank you 

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey lildebsmile! Thank you for being a part of the Oculus family! We understand accessibility is a big factor to game play. Feel free to submit a support ticket to disscuss your personal needs. We look forward to seeing you in VR! 

FORBZILLA
Honored Guest

My sons have albinism. They were SOOO excited to get into VR. And they’ve been loving it! Our main problem is how the menu screen disappears as you walk up to it. It’s so bizarre that there’s not an option to just keep the screen up so they can walk up to read the small font. 

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there Forbzilla, we definitely want to assist you and your sons' with getting the menu to a comfortable size for them! Can you tell us if this is happening in the universal menu or a different type of menu?

FORBZILLA
Honored Guest

not sure how to describe it. The main window just turns white and disappears when you get to get close. Is there a way to turn off this setting?

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries! What we will need to do is move this over to private message. We will need more in depth information on this error your sons are having. Would you be able to share if you're experiencing this on the main screen of the headset or while playing a specific game/app?

We want to get your sons back and enjoying in the Metaverse, so we hope to hear back from you soon!

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please select our name to get to our profile page, or click here: https://metaque.st/CommunitySupport. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

FORBZILLA
Honored Guest

well that was a waste of time. I direct messaged someone and they immediately just said "sorry. can't help." 

I hope your tech support system improves, because currently it's incredibly archaic. I feel like I'd get a better response tying a note to a carrier pigeon. 

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

So, from the support side here in Community, we don't have a direct line to the engineering team. We understand not having the ability to move closer to, or enlarge the menu, hasn't been ideal at all for you. 

As for the message you received, can you let us know where that was at? We can assure you that our goal is to give you all the information possible and at least answer your concerns.