cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phillysohk1
Honored Guest

Remove Mandatory Facebook login in order to accept friend requests and use the Oculus app. I have never had Facebook nor do i want it. I just want to play vr. I don’t want to have to have facebook to enjoy my 500$ Virtual Reality Headset with my friends.

527 Comments
pcallen71
Honored Guest
Facebook makes privacy a complicated multi-step process and even then your personal info isn't always safe. I want to enjoy the Oculus not keep a look out for all the haters, gullible lonely ppl, fishers and third party threats. $500 is a lot of money to flush on Oculus if they end up going down with Facebook. Sorry, Facebook just keeps stepping in it and uses members to wipe it. Facebook can't be trusted. It's just s matter of time before Facebook folds up. Spare Oculus !
ben_facebook
Explorer
One of my friends is returning his Quest over this new linking requirement and I can't really blame them. Facebook can't be trusted with the kind of information a Quest could potentially provide. The Oculus account actually had independent friends lists and they removed it just to force Facebook on us. So the device can now do less than it did when I bought it and I have less friends to play with.
HRBear
Honored Guest
Absolutely agree, do not force Facebook onto everyone. This is a feature that already existed, and been used for a very long time and works perfectly as it is. Make ALL of your USERS HAPPY and INSTEAD of FORCING it, please make it an OPTIOIN, not a requirement to be able to use voice chat (Party Chat) with friends that we already have in your Oculus friends list. If there are new features, Facebooks own HORIZON VR chat room application for instance that needs a Facebook account in order to be able to work, then fine. Make that new HORIZON chat room require that you login with a Facebook account. If users then choose to want to use that particular chat room, then they can create a new Facebook account or login to their existing account and use the HORIZON VR chat room. Just don't take away functionalities we previously had, by forcing ALL Oculus users to be required to have a Facebook account and to have to be logged into it.
vrof
Honored Guest
I agree, get rid of this BS. A feature that was and has been originally there, all of a sudden is removed, and now requires a facebook account for simple functionality? This is just total BS, I am so irate over this. I bought a quest and a rift S, My wife and I like to play with them together, I take the quest when I travel out of town for work, and we enjoy hanging out and doing stuff together on them. Neither of us have facebook, nor do we want anything to do with the cancer that is facebook, my children will not have a facebook either, as long as they live in my house. With a now defunct freinds list, due to facebook login, it makes the units a lot less useful for us. Unfortunately I am a few weeks out of my in store refund period, or else they would be back in the store already. Right now all i want to do is shove them up Mark Z's you know what.. I repeatedly asked, if you "had to have a facebook account", over and over at the store, and was reassured many times "you do not"... An now they are making you, or discriminating against you for not having one, or you do not get the full functions of the unit. No where on the box does it say that you have to have a facebook to use the full features of the device. That is some sort of bait and switch, or some sort of false advertising. It needs to be clearly labeled on the box. "REQUIRES FACEBOOK". I wish i could sue them for something, or at least just for a refund, so i can put the money towards two valve index's. P.S, anybody wanna buy a very lighty used rift S, and quest, almost new in the box.. for cheep?
Netheri
Rising Star
Get rid of this feature. Not only it is forcing users of Oculus to do something that big part of them doesn't want to do but isn't it also illegal to force system users to use some software (Facebook) the manufacturer owns so that the whole system features work (which worked fine before this mandatory Facebook logging). I.e. Google can't force it's Pixel users in EU to use Google as a web search engine any more. Microsoft can't force it's Windows users to use Bing as a default search engine, etc. And even if it isn't illegal, there's already a lot of current users (includin me) saying that this mandatory Faceebooking is making them to switch to other PCVR manufacturers and it will affect new users too to not adopting Oculus hardware. User security explanation about is just bs, as Oculus already has secured the user information of it's current users who have't logged on to the Facebook through VR, right? EDIT: This is on Quest side of feature request, i'm answering as a Rift owner which also is affected.
ethanrose08
Explorer
most people who have oculus are mostly kids I think and just because Facebook lets you have a account at 13 doesn’t mean your parents let you have Facebook and I think that ALOT of kids are missing their chance playing with their friends and having fun but no you have to have Facebook so I think that we need to change this and as a kid that’s no fun
Syndicate_X
Honored Guest
I agree that this is ridiculous to force facebook on oculus users for ANYTHING. As long as this is the practice of oculus, I will no longer support oculus products. I will buy the index.
twilaparson76
Honored Guest
13year olds should not have to have a social account to play with each other. Especially since predators use social media to find their victims. By you forcing parents to get their kids an account. Just so they can play I feel like you should also be responsible and held accountable for the actions of the predators that are out there using Facebook to hunt for their innocent under age victims. If you are a parent who agrees that your kids should not have to be on social media to play. Please write to Oculus and Facebook.
Johnsky7
Explorer
Guys, Facebook is an absolute NO GO for me. I abandoned it after people kept trying to pry into my life, people I don't want to communicate with unless I contact them. Never the other way around. I don't need to be barraged by a bunch of people I don't want to talk to because I put on my Rift headset. Facebook is an absolute no go. Looks like Steam VR will be my primary home and social hub. Sorry Oculus team. You made a giant brick wall for me here... Won't be using your platform for social anything now.
Johnsky7
Explorer
To add, the first thing you need to do with your Oculus rift/ rift S is INSTALL STEAM VR. The first thing I do the moment I put on the headset is load Steam VR. From there, my social interactions are either completely based on my Steam friends list, or completely random (joining random social rooms etc.). Steam VR. It's what you want. It's what you need. But you all probably already figured that out and are switching to Steam because of this Facebook nonsense... and likely haven't said as much. Oculus team, your users are moving to rival platforms. Every single customer that isn't logging in with Facebook... THIS IS WHAT THEY'RE DOING. Go ahead, count them. Guaranteed they're using Steam VR for their social interactions, perhaps you can see that from your end, the number of users with Steam VR loaded. You're losing out on a LARGE chunk of users because of this Facebook mistake. I should know, I'm one of them. Even if you make some backward attempt to lock us into the Occulus app in the future (hey it's Facebook, they're likely to try to demand it) , Users WILL find a way around it. I certainly will. And if that doesn't work, well, then it's your rivals hardware I'll be buying as-well. Point is Facebook login as a requirement for social interaction is a huge mistake. I know Facebook, your new owners, are demanding it, but perhaps respond with a request for a VR ONLY facebook login, one that absolutely DOES NOT IN ANY WAY interact with the users presence on the standard facebook platform. We don't want our annoyingly depressed and needy non-friends begging for our attention when we put on your headset... THAT'S NOT WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR. We're here for an escape, not a damn mandatory re-connect with everyone we dropped Facebook to avoid. As for the Facebook team, this is why people are leaving Facebook... we're human beings, there are people we don't communicate with for a reason. Facebook has a way of making our presence known to them. Anonymity is a lusted after tool we all seek, each and every one of us. And you are anything but. We want to relax and escape from life's annoyances, not be bombarded by it.