cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phillysohk1
Honored Guest

Remove Mandatory Facebook login in order to accept friend requests and use the Oculus app. I have never had Facebook nor do i want it. I just want to play vr. I don’t want to have to have facebook to enjoy my 500$ Virtual Reality Headset with my friends.

527 Comments
MeatballB
Explorer
Totally on board with this. One of the biggest reasons I continue to play on any platform isn't the games or hardware, it's being able to have fun with some friends. We shouldn't need to all be on Facebook either. No reason there shouldn't be some internal Friend/Party system to Oculus. If I continue to basically have to jump through hoops (we've even resorted to calling each other on the phone while we're playing and muting everyone else) to group up and chat with just friends I don't expect I'll spend a lot more time using the Quest / Oculus. I'll also note that there's another request for basically this same thing called, 'Make it easier to play/chat with friends' so there's more than just the current votes for this one.
lee_prestigio
Honored Guest
Eventually Your going to force people away by making them use Facebook to use your products
garystuartjohns
Explorer
Totally agree! I've gone from loving this product to hating it within a moment. The moment I found out I couldn't play friends without a facebook account ffs. It either gets changed rapidly, or the device gets sold and I lose interest. Such a shame - fantastic product, ruined with tiny minded execution. Whoever made that decision should be ashamed of themselves!!
garystuartjohns
Explorer
Social Media is not something I will entertain and haven't done for years. Bought Quest, loved it. Found out right now that I can't add friends without facebook account. Now hate it with a passion. You truly are idiots for even thinking that was a good idea. I give it a month or I sell it. Absolutely insane to believe that everyone uses that nonsense
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have no intention of using Facebook, and i do not appreciate this approach from Oculus. if i had of known this would happen i would have waited out for Valve's VR.
ethanrose08
Explorer
I love the oculus quest and oculus in general but having to log on to Facebook just to play with friends like cmon what where you guys thinking I don’t know if you understand but not all people are allowed to have Facebook like just because you are twelve and Facebook lets you make a account doesn’t mean your parents do please fix this
williamsiwan
Honored Guest
I know Facebook is everywhere!! Its well annoying!
huguesdk
Explorer
we can feel a lot of frustration, anger and even hatred in these comments. it is quite understandable. with the change that was made at the end of 2019, some important features that were working fine have been disabled for people without a facebook account. they are currently unable to voice chat with friends outside of games that implement voice chat (not all do), and setting up multiplayer games is more or less cumbersome depending on the game. for example: to play “drop dead: dual strike edition” with a friend, you have to launch a quick play at the same time and hope the game will match you with your friend. only when this has succeeded at least once will this friend appear in your (internal) friends list, and you can then invite them to play the next time (from within the game only). because of this, your friends list gets automatically populated with all players that the game matched you with, and it is not possible to remove people you don’t know. this is ridiculous and broken. for more information on what works and what doesn’t, see this in-depth article (about the oculus quest): https://medium.com/@darkuni/quest-how-does-facebook-impact-quest-owners-12ef2782bd0c it is understandable that facebook wants to integrate its social features more into the oculus platform. for people that have a facebook account, this is probably very convenient. i think it is a good thing that facebook gives this option to their users. the problem comes from the fact that these important features are now only accessible if you have a facebook account. this is very unfortunate, as it punishes the user and actually cripples the device. this move diminishes the value of the platform, and drives away many potential new customers. this is especially true for the oculus quest (which is a great device b.t.w.), as there is currently no way to install and use a separate application for voice chat that could be run alongside other applications, including the oculus home. because of this, to communicate with friends, you need to juggle with your phone or your computer while not seeing these devices (or trying to look at them through the nose gap), and have to drop your controllers each time you want to interact with them. this is pretty annoying. we may argue that people should just create a facebook account and the problem would be solved for them. maybe this is what facebook is thinking? maybe they don’t see what the problem actually is? the problem is that there is no such thing as “just creating a facebook account”. having a facebook account means joining facebook, the social network, and this is anything but negligible. it has serious, critical side effects, that are undesirable to many people. it is not that people without a facebook account don’t just want to create an account. it is that it’s important to them to *not* have a facebook account. to facebook: please acknowledge that there are people that don’t want to have a facebook account. don’t force it on them. they are customers who already paid several hundreds of dollars. show that they are important to you. show that you listen to them and that you care. be inclusive. choice and freedom is good. leave all important features available to everyone, with or without a facebook account. this is why it’s important that everyone votes for this issue, whether you have a facebook account or not. here is an excellent article that dives deeper into this issue: https://medium.com/@darkuni/oculus-quest-forced-facebook-integration-no-big-deal-or-class-action-sui...
Carloskhard
Protege
This is a must. Stop forcing us to use your platform. We want a more open system.
Broken_Lambchop
Honored Guest
I got a Quest for my kids that are not old enough for Facebook. We can not enjoy our VR time together because of this.