cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drivenby
Explorer
I feel that after the announcement that Quest will have the option of using PCVR, this has made the Rift S a much worst value. I and many other Rift S users would instantly exchange our Rift S for a quest and gladly pay for the Link since it gives you more versatility and the option of PCVR and wireless. The improvement that the Rift S has over the quests are not worth the price of admission. Four months after launch and I deeply regret buying a Rift S. The Rift s is simply not worth 400 usd on the current market and a price drop is not gonna fixed disgruntled customers who feel betrayed by Oculus/Facebook.
8 Comments
nachog4
Honored Guest
nice way to insult your original userbase.... (cv1 and s users) hiding this information while releasing two headsets was an ungrateful move toward us...
Andro
Honored Guest
You feel betrayed because your product is still works as intended? And now you deserve another shiny toy for free? How entitled can you be? Rift S is still remains a MUCH better experience when it comes to PC VR games for numerous reasons, and the addition of extra features on Quest does not make it any worse. I'd like to see you play upcoming 20-40+ hour titles on Quest alone, then come here again whining how uncomfortable it is for prolonged usage, how movement isn't as smooth, tracking isn't as wide and visual fidelity isn't as great.. And don't start with the hand tracking. Let alone Oculus already mentioned that it will be coming to Rift S in the future, it'll still take literally 1-2 years until it becomes fully fleshed-out and practical, at this time it's nothing more than a neat feature that you'll get bored of within 5 minutes. In any case, if you feel so regretful over buying Rift S - just sell it and get a Quest. Oculus doesn't owe you anything and this whole request is pathetic.
aaronedmistone
Honored Guest
While I think Oculus could have been more careful about their choice of words saying things like "Your Quest is now a Rift too!". They stated this idea of remote rendering was just speculation at the time of release with the Quest, but had serious doubts of ever delivering something suitable for consumers. There was an insane amount of hurdles for them to go through: 1. Sending the tracking data to the computer 2. (likely) Interpolating that data to compensate for that latency 3. Rendering the images using new systems to allow this kind of remote rendering 4. Encoding that and sending it to the to the headset as fast as possible without too much compression 5. Decoding and adjusting that (again?) compensating for that latency (Time warp) All of those *extra* steps on a last-last gen Snapdragon 835. Yes the SoC doesn't need to handle the rendering but currently there is an 80ms latency (this may be reduced as we get closer to November release) being compensated for with interpolation and time warp. The idea is not some ploy to phase out the Rift S. I know there are people saying that now your Quest >= Rift S, but this is simply not true. The Rift S will be the superior experience for PCVR. Much lower latency, much higher perceived visual fidelity, higher frame rate (currently), larger tracking volume, at the same price point. In summary, I think Oculus feels this product can exist along side the Quest with the new features. Leaving it up to the consumer to make the decision, of trading off higher quality PCVR experience for some mobile and wireless play options. As for the people feeling betrayed by this announcement, please remember that buyer remorse is a real thing and it is everywhere. Every time any company announces a new feature or better product, there is always people who feel cheated that they did not have some inside info about upcoming products and feel they would not have spent the money if they had known about these releases. I'm not saying that makes it okay; It does suck, but that is just how the release cycle goes with technology in general.
rjandrosiglio
Explorer
The idea here is about consumers having a CHOICE. We didn't get the CHOICE of deciding if we wanted a Quest/Tether or No Tether with "lower performance" (no on really knows if the difference will be discernable) or a Rift S/Must Be Tethered with "higher performance". That decision was impossible to make just 4 months ago when Oculus must have know the Link would later be developed for the Quest. This is shell game, bait and switch, three card monty corporate corruption.
sapghosh999
Explorer
I absolutely agree. I have Oculus Rift that I bought last year, but with Quest out in the market I want to upgrade, but I asked Customer support. They said no such option available at this time. With technology changing this fast there should be upgrades and trade-in options available.
Qwine
Honored Guest
DONT DO IT!!! I have a quest and a computer with 2070 rtx and a bunch of other crazy specs; just ran link and it’s considerably worse graphics on the quest than what the output of my computer is. It’s not capable of displaying anything better than what quest already has. I’m trading in for a rift right now. Don’t get a quest unless graphics aren’t a thing for you.
barz_beast
Protege
LOL at the people who think the Rift S is obsolete. Rift S to Quest is not an upgrade, its cool in different ways. The Rift S is more comfortable, runs games at a better resolution and is much lighter than the Quest. It also currently has a lower hz screen than the Rift/s
riga445
Protege
You can trade in your rift for a partial discount on the Quest by selling your headset on Craigslist. What is Facebook going to do with your Rift?