cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Less memory available on Android 5.0

crammy360
Honored Guest
Thought I'd create a new thread to ask rather than ask in the stickied thread.

We submitted our app to Oculus and they came back with a crash on Android 5.0. The crash is the GPU running out of memory.

I checked to see if it crashed on Android 4.4.4 and the game has never and still never seems to crash, it only runs out of memory on Android 5.0.

Before we start reducing textures and everything, do we actually have less memory available with Android 5.0 or is there something else going on?

For reference, I'm using Unity 4.6.1p5 and I flashed my Note 4 with the system image in the stickied post.

Thanks,

Andy.
3 REPLIES 3

cybereality
Grand Champion
I've asked about this. I'll let you know if I hear anything.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

rosebud_the_sle
Expert Protege
Thanks for the report!

We've had one other report (in the Lollipop thread) of a developer needing to drop their texture sizes in order to run under Android 5. Can you tell me how large your textures are, how many of them you have, and whether or not you generate mipmaps with them? We don't know of any general loss of texture memory under Android 5, but it's certainly possible that the OS needs more than it did before.

crammy360
Honored Guest
I thought we may have been pushing the texture memory a bit on 4.4.4, but we had no issues so we never gave it much thought.

Currently our largest texture is 2048x2048 (we have about 5 in total but no more than than 2 or 3 get used at the same time) and the vast majority (around 50+) are no bigger than 1024x1024. All textures currently have mipmaps enabled on them