cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Studio

Anonymous
Not applicable
In the “Device and Environment Setup Guide” the instructions are all for the Eclipse version of the IDE, but it looks like Android Studio is now the official IDE. Are there any updated instruction on configuring Android Studio?
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
"mbzdmvp" wrote:
Hey everyone,

To get around this you must manually install the ADT Plugin for Eclipse after installing Eclipse on its own because Android no longer has the ADT bundle download available.

To do so install Eclipse at:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/?

And follow these instructions to install the ADT Plugin:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/installing-adt.html

I have switched to Eclipse and everything works - so I will stick with this until someone else gets Android Studio working.

Sqwethm
Honored Guest
Was still having NDK Abort problems in Eclipse after manually installing that, but I've since found that the "run.bat" exists in the Native apps as well and using that from the command line is building fine. I've been able to modify and launch VrScene on the GearVR with this method.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah I ended up putting the path to my ndk in my path so that ndk-build would work in the build.cmd

eoniantech
Explorer
"jcollins" wrote:
Still don't understand how this works.

How do you "open" the cinema project for compilation in eclipse?
There is a Visual Studio solution file, but how does that tie into Eclipse?
What's the workflow here? Do you do your c++ dev in Visual Studio? Can you tie that into a compile process with Eclipse?
Is there a way to open the project in Eclipse like Visual Studio?

Sorry if these are newbie questions, but I haven't done much android development.

Edit:
Looks like I'd have to buy VisualGDB to compile this project, or am I missing something.

If anyone could provide some insight on this question, I would be very appreciative. I've been trying to make some modifications to the Oculus360video project provided in the sdk, but can't figure out how to work with the code.

tozz3r
Explorer
@eoniantech I think I've worked out a way to work with it. It's not perfect, but I'm still getting used to it.

I've done several different approaches.
First approach: I use the VrTemplate to create a new project (this tool could use some tweaking). Then I use Notepad++ to modify the source code files and to compile I just use the "run.bat debug" command in the project folder.

Second approach: After creating the project using VrTemplate, I import the project using Eclipse (not android studio). Use the setup guide for Eclipse in the documentation from Oculus. Once imported, I can use the Eclipse tools to develop. This is nicer because it gives you more tools to work with.

Third approach: I haven't tried this yet, but it looks like you can buy VisualGDB and use Visual Studio to import the project. This would be ideal as I really love working in Visual Studio, but the other approaches has taught me a lot about the source code and how it works.

All in all, I'm developing and getting good results. Not ideal, but workable.
The hardest for me in the beginning was getting used to Android development, having worked on windows mostly. The other tough task was/is debugging.
For debugging, I first used adb to get the log file copied locally, which worked, but was a pain to go through and figure out what was going on. Very time consuming and hard to read the dump.
I just started using this command and remote connection:
adb logcat | "Ndk install folder"\android-ndk\ndk-stack -sym "Your project folder"\obj\local\armeabi-v7a
This is really helpful and will print the dump in a readable way and if you compiled with debug, you'll get line numbers and cpp files.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm still learning, but it's all great stuff 🙂

VRabbitHole
Honored Guest
"CaptainVegas" wrote:
In the “Device and Environment Setup Guide” the instructions are all for the Eclipse version of the IDE, but it looks like Android Studio is now the official IDE. Are there any updated instruction on configuring Android Studio?

Has there been any official update from Carmack and mobile dev team on using the latest version of Android Studio (1.0.1, build AI-135.1641136.) with latest Java SE Dev Kit (8u31)?

Given how quickly the mobile market is moving it would be advantageous to be able to use the 'latest and greatest' development environment if possible .... plus, in terms of optimizing apps for Gear VR we need all the help we can get. Note4/Gear VR is a great platform for sharing the VR experience but inducing 'presence' is a bit more challenging than on DK2.

We're building on OSX 10.10.2 with Xcode 6.1.1. Apple is revving its development tools rapidly and we need to keep up ... iPhone 6 Plus with iOS8 is a sweet combination.

warvr
Honored Guest
"eoniantech" wrote:
"jcollins" wrote:
Still don't understand how this works.

How do you "open" the cinema project for compilation in eclipse?
There is a Visual Studio solution file, but how does that tie into Eclipse?
What's the workflow here? Do you do your c++ dev in Visual Studio? Can you tie that into a compile process with Eclipse?
Is there a way to open the project in Eclipse like Visual Studio?

Sorry if these are newbie questions, but I haven't done much android development.

Edit:
Looks like I'd have to buy VisualGDB to compile this project, or am I missing something.

If anyone could provide some insight on this question, I would be very appreciative. I've been trying to make some modifications to the Oculus360video project provided in the sdk, but can't figure out how to work with the code.

The Visual Studio solutions we provide are meant to be used with Visual GDB which some of us use. The native projects can be opened in either Eclipse or Visual Studio separately. I highly recommend cleaning before building when switching IDEs to save yourself undue frustration.

Regarding Android Studio support, we are investigating this. So far it hasn't been very straightforward as we've yet to encounter Google's official NDK support within Android Studio. For a while the Android Studio page had "NDK support coming soon" listed as one of the features and now there's nothing about the NDK mentioned in concert with Android Studio. Rest assured that we are working on providing support for it on our end as best we can.

VRabbitHole
Honored Guest
"warvr" wrote:

Regarding Android Studio support, we are investigating this. So far it hasn't been very straightforward as we've yet to encounter Google's official NDK support within Android Studio. For a while the Android Studio page had "NDK support coming soon" listed as one of the features and now there's nothing about the NDK mentioned in concert with Android Studio. Rest assured that we are working on providing support for it on our end as best we can.

Thanks for the update, guys ... we totally appreciate your sterling efforts to make Mobile VR happen in a timely and efficient manner (and yes, we know you have a shit load of stuff on your plate) ... before CES I was totally convinced that tethered was the only way to go ... but after CES, I'm really excited about the untethered approach being nurtured by Carmack and Samsung ... sure, there's way more technical hurdles to overcome but in the long run, the untethered VR HMD might be more strategic than the wired option but we have to find a way to tame the thermal issues and the Snapdragon throttling.

I know the Mobile team have already published some best best practices on poly count and lightning effects, etc, but it might be useful for us to have a separate thread on 'Gear VR Optimization Tricks' which is kept up to date with whatever useful tips the OVR team suss out as they go along ... if John thinks it's a challenge, then you can imagine how the rest of us feel 😞

For example, after CES, I purchased a Note 4 and Gear VR and started testing some apps using the Samsung bluetooth game controller and Samsung Circle headphones .... wasn't too impressed .. then one day I just happened to put on my Beats Studio BT headphones and wow! ... what a difference ... much more engaging and immersive ... so it may be that in order to enhance "presence" on the mobile platform we might have to compensate for the degraded visual granularity by enhancing the audio quality .... but not sure if that is real thing or not?