cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice for Mobile Skybox?

Thunderbox_Ent
Protege
Hi there.
I understand that using Unity's default skybox is a no-no for mobile VR.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any clear direction on what the best alternative is.
I am sure I have missed something somewhere... could somebody point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Cheers,
Dan
7 REPLIES 7

Halfspacer
Adventurer
Unity has a Mobile Skybox shader. Create a new Material and go to Mobile-> Skybox in the material properties. 

Thunderbox_Ent
Protege
Thanks! I'll give that a try...
Would it be worth using OVROverlay for the Skybox?
Is it more performant.

Halfspacer
Adventurer

Thanks! I'll give that a try...
Would it be worth using OVROverlay for the Skybox?
Is it more performant.

The regular Mobile Skybox in Unity is already very performant. OVROverlay has other benefits but I'm not sure rendering a skybox takes advantage or many of those. 

Thunderbox_Ent
Protege
I will give that a try - thanks!
Would it be worth using OVROverlay for the skybox?
Is it more performant?

Kev1970
Explorer
But the OVR Lint performance tool says not to do that, and gives a handy button to make sure it's gone.4yscd910blrb.png

wakkawakkawakka
Protege

I am searching for a better skybox solution also. i spent 12 hours cooking a lightmap only to have 72fps when looking down with the headset on the OVR metric tool only to have it drop to 30 when looking up past waist level. I'm pushing 90fps in the unity editor. Looking back at my other builds I bet this situation made me ditch a few projects because its not something to you readily think of once the xr rig starts stuttering. Looking for a solution for this.

wakkawakkawakka
Protege

The best alternative given what I'm seen is to use the Skybox that comes with the oculus integration package. Its under oculus>SampleFramework>Usage>SharedAssets>Skyboxes>Sky_01.