cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can low memory in the target device (GO), affect my game performance?

valerioPavanVR
Honored Guest
I'm working on static and dynamic batching in unity. 
In my Oculus Go, I only have 2G free memory.
Despite the optimization, I noticed a low performance in my game.
Can low memory in my Go, affect my build performance?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
Hi

I'm assuming by memory you mean your storage capacity and not your RAM, as 2Gb spare RAM is more than enough.

While I haven't tested, I would be extremely surprised if low storage had any impact on performance unless you are writing to the storage, but as you mention its a game it's probably unlikely you are writing too much.

The below advice isn't specific to your question but thought it was worth mentioning.

Check your draw calls, lighting will make a huge difference in GO so make sure you bake what you can and reduce the number of lights where possible. If you are using Unity run the profiller and that may give you some indication to where all your performance is going.

When I'm trying to increase performance and its difficult to identify I tend to go through a process of trail and error 
Turn off some lights and test
Remove some objects and test
Reduce texture qualities and test

That normally throws up a few things to help me focus my performance efforts.

Hope that helps
Mike

View solution in original post

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
Hi Valerio

Hmm that does sound strange, the only other things I know of that may effect performance across the board like that would be low battery or overheating. 

Without seeing more I can do nothing but give pretty generic advice, but sounds like you know what you are doing anyway.

Best of luck working it out.

Mike

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
Hi

I'm assuming by memory you mean your storage capacity and not your RAM, as 2Gb spare RAM is more than enough.

While I haven't tested, I would be extremely surprised if low storage had any impact on performance unless you are writing to the storage, but as you mention its a game it's probably unlikely you are writing too much.

The below advice isn't specific to your question but thought it was worth mentioning.

Check your draw calls, lighting will make a huge difference in GO so make sure you bake what you can and reduce the number of lights where possible. If you are using Unity run the profiller and that may give you some indication to where all your performance is going.

When I'm trying to increase performance and its difficult to identify I tend to go through a process of trail and error 
Turn off some lights and test
Remove some objects and test
Reduce texture qualities and test

That normally throws up a few things to help me focus my performance efforts.

Hope that helps
Mike

valerioPavanVR
Honored Guest
Hello Mike,(@FocusVRGames)
Yep, with 2G I mean storage capacity. In this scene, only baked lights, a lot of static cubes with the same material, and all those meshes, static batched. Some objects dynamic batched.
All Update() functions profiled too.
I noticed a loss of performance not only in my build but also (for the first time) in other games inside my Oculus Go. So, from here my suspicion...
Btw, thanks for your advice! 
Valerio

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
Hi Valerio

Hmm that does sound strange, the only other things I know of that may effect performance across the board like that would be low battery or overheating. 

Without seeing more I can do nothing but give pretty generic advice, but sounds like you know what you are doing anyway.

Best of luck working it out.

Mike

GeoffreyBoy
Explorer
As you have only 2G free memory, it will effect your build performance and will result in a low gaming performance during gaming. 

valerioPavanVR
Honored Guest
Thanks @GeoffreyBoy

valerioPavanVR
Honored Guest
Thanks @GeoffreyBoy!