cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone still developing for GearVR?

mattsydney
Explorer
As discussed in the forums. I,  and pretty much everyone else who develops for GearVR has their app rejected with "changes requested". Then there is no way of getting any feedback and emails to submission are ignored. So your app is dead in the water. I wonder if this is a temporary issue with not enough staff or Oculus are winding down support for GearVR 
4 REPLIES 4

delphinius81
Rising Star
Still giving it a go for now, but will probably look into targeting Daydream in the future since it will likely run on the same phones as GearVR, plus adds support for others.

Fulby
Heroic Explorer
I'm developing for Gear VR (demo submitted, currently Under Review) and while I worry about getting a rejection with no explanation the closed store was a significant part of the reason I started working on the game. If this was just the Google Play store I wouldn't have bothered due to:

Piracy. My understanding is this is a huge problem on normal Android apps and it appears to be less so in the Oculus/Gear VR system.

Price. Just expecting people to pay for your Android app puts you in a minority and charging more than $1-2 is seen as expensive. Gear VR apps are $5-10 with a few over $10, so more return per unit sold (though obviously a smaller market).

Visibillty. With relatively few apps on the Gear VR store there's more chance of a user coming across mine than if it were the Play store. I've no experience/skill in marketing so this is important to me.

mattsydney
Explorer
I have no problem with rejection and quality control, it is just the lack of communication that is disappointing, but hopefully it will improve with time. Having said that, some of the apps already on the store are awful!

motorsep
Rising Star
I've been working on a Gear VR experience using UE4. Hoping to finish it and after the release (that's if it passes the Gates of Oculus) I can branch it into an experience-game app for Gear VR.