cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LÖVR, a Lua-based VR engine, now works on Oculus Mobile

mcc
Expert Protege
In case this is of interest to anyone: https://lovr.org/ , which is an open source VR game engine that lets you make VR apps as simple Lua scripts, now supports Oculus Mobile (it supported Vive, Rift and WebVR before) and works on the Oculus Go. So this might be a useful third alternative besides Unity and writing your own C.

The instructions for running LÖVR on Oculus Mobile are here: https://mcclure.github.io/mermaid-lovr/
There is a quick-start test APK that you can sideload, and it will run Lua scripts when you `adb push` them to the headset. The test APK resets on each adb push so fast iteration is possible.

I did the port to Oculus Mobile myself, so if you hit any problems I can help with them. I am still looking for a Gear VR tester.

I am using LÖVR for my own game, it is nice for me as a C programmer because Lovr handles Lua binding, controller management and simple drawing, but since LOVR is a simple engine it is very easy to extend with my own C code (you don't have to write any C at all to use LÖVR, but for me it is nice to have the option).

(Mods, if this post is too "promotional" and you have to remove it I of course understand.)
3 REPLIES 3

CoolGamesNet
Explorer
Hi @mcc,
I am trying to use LÖVR but there are issues I have outlined at Slack channel.
Just head's up.
UPDATE: 
I found your app in "My Library".
I forgot how it changed from main screen in previous OS version.
I will keep trying to do what I want but never seen lua so hope it does what I want.

Thanks for doing this and passing it on here.
System 76 Lemur | 14.1 ′′ Matte 1080p IPS LED | laptop w/ factory mods
Intel Core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz | 8 GB DDR3 at 1600 MHz 
250 GB M.2 SSD | WiFi 867 Mbps 
Favoring Open Source -> Ubuntu Studio 18.10 for
 Nikon Keymission 360 & Web VR to Oculus Go

superheavymetal
Explorer
i am very interested in lovr. please post twitter links to popular lovr users so i can talk with them. or youtube links for lovr. thank you so much for posting this!
windows pc, oculus go, udemy cardboard tutorials, forum, virtual freedom.
twitter: 

E 001

@Super_H_M_D_

KingKi33
Honored Guest
I thought this was a nice share, thanks!