cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Mobile 0.6.0] MediaSurface hardcoded resolution

Hirdannen
Protege
Hello,

since the beginnings of the mobile SDK (July 2014), I worked on 360 stereo videos interactive viewer made with Unity (I'm non native developper). To have high quality textures with the android MediaPlayer and Oculus, I always used a trick by modifying the horribly hardcoded MediaSurface.cpp and recompiling the library.

But now with SDK 0.6 I have no more access to the source code. And my apps using Unity to view 360 videos are really compromised without the ability to change the resolution.

So I have multiple questions.

1) I asked 7 months ago on the forum to remove this hardcoded resolution and allow the developper access through the API. Is it done ? And how do I do it ?

2) For the people that desire to use the global signing tool and were asked to use SDK 0.6, what do they do if they can't play their videos in high resolution ?
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
Continue to send email to Oculus and Unity to push for higher resolution video support.
Biggest downside to GearVR now is the poor video quality and yet there's a lot of content for it.

mrelusive
Honored Guest
Issue noted. We will try to add an interface to change the MediaSurface texture dimensions.

Hirdannen
Protege
"mrelusive" wrote:
Issue noted. We will try to add an interface to change the MediaSurface texture dimensions.

That would be really helpful, thanks 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
"mrelusive" wrote:

Awesome ! Any idea about when it will be available ?

jkimovr
Honored Guest
This will be coming soon (days not weeks). We're still in the middle of finalizing a few more fixes in addition to adding this feature.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent! Hopefull this will match or be very close to native resolution and performance.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Perfect, thanks for the heads up jkimovr ! 🙂

MikeFesta
Honored Guest
It looks like this feature was just added with 0.6.0.1:

"Allow Unity MediaSurface dimensions to be modified via plugin interface."

I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this and I couldn't find it in the documentation. I'm trying to upgrade my project from 0.5, where I previously changed the hardcoded resolution in MediaSurface.cpp, recompiled VRLib and modified MoviePlayerSample.cs. None of those files or locations seem to exist in 0.6.0.1 :?

Anonymous
Not applicable
"MikeFesta" wrote:
It looks like this feature was just added with 0.6.0.1:

"Allow Unity MediaSurface dimensions to be modified via plugin interface."

I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this and I couldn't find it in the documentation. I'm trying to upgrade my project from 0.5, where I previously changed the hardcoded resolution in MediaSurface.cpp, recompiled VRLib and modified MoviePlayerSample.cs. None of those files or locations seem to exist in 0.6.0.1 :?

Hmmm same here, is that a value you have to get/set somewhere in your custom script ?

EDIT : actually, the line 150

IntPtr  androidSurface = OVR_Media_Surface( textureId, 2880, 1440 );

Is probably the line we're looking for.