cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Mobile 0.6.0] MediaSurface hardcoded resolution

Hirdannen
Protege
Hello,

since the beginnings of the mobile SDK (July 2014), I worked on 360 stereo videos interactive viewer made with Unity (I'm non native developper). To have high quality textures with the android MediaPlayer and Oculus, I always used a trick by modifying the horribly hardcoded MediaSurface.cpp and recompiling the library.

But now with SDK 0.6 I have no more access to the source code. And my apps using Unity to view 360 videos are really compromised without the ability to change the resolution.

So I have multiple questions.

1) I asked 7 months ago on the forum to remove this hardcoded resolution and allow the developper access through the API. Is it done ? And how do I do it ?

2) For the people that desire to use the global signing tool and were asked to use SDK 0.6, what do they do if they can't play their videos in high resolution ?
38 REPLIES 38

Thibaultvdb
Honored Guest
Hey guys! Beginner here, I'm trying to get one of my 360° video's working on the GearVR through Unity 5.1.1f1. (they are 2880x1440 h264 mp4 files)

My goal is to be able to switch between two video's for example after staring at a spinning 3D cube inside the videosphere. I've been able to get an app deployed to my Note4 with a simple scene, but I'm stuck from there. I'm trying to get the MoviePlayerSample.cs script to work, but I'm not sure it's the right way to go, would I still be able to put 3D objects inside a sphere? I read you have to use a 2:1 quad for the script. I downloaded the mobile SDK 0.6.0.1, and put the UnityIntegration package file and project settings in my project.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm in the same boat thibaultvdb, and am also a beginner... I have a simple scene working on my S6, but can't get the final step to have video play back on a sphere. Hopefully someone will make a tutorial, or oculus will make it a bit more straight forward.

Thibaultvdb
Honored Guest
You have to use a higher version number than 5.1.1f1 for the latest Oculus Unity integration package. I'm searching in the latest SDK examples package, but can't seem to find a sample scene with a videosphere. There is a movie_surface_hd_mat in the examples file, but it uses a shader that doesn't even show the inside of the sphere. When I drag my mp4 on the surface it just becomes black. But from what I'm reading I need to use the android media player to output the video to the videosphere. The movieplayersample.cs script is gone in the latest example package. Anyone knows how to get me a step further? I've tried the culling shader from bernieroehl in 5.1.2p1, but it doesn't seem to work, had it working in 5.1.1f1.
edit: on the Oculus Utilities for Unity V0.1.0-beta page, it notes: Removed Gear VR MediaSurface functionality.
Use Mobile Movie Texture or similar.

barryzundel
Explorer
"thibaultvdb" wrote:
edit: on the Oculus Utilities for Unity V0.1.0-beta page, it notes: Removed Gear VR MediaSurface functionality.Use Mobile Movie Texture or similar.

So does this mean that we should abandon the previous method once we are in 5.1.1p4+?? Is there any documentation on how to "Use Mobile Movie Texture or similar"? I'm having major issues with the mediaplayersample.cs method (I'll go over those later), so if this is a solution, I'd love Oculus to expound on how to use it.

Edit: Is "Mobile Movie Texture" referring to the plugin on the Asset Store here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2449

So is there no integrated way to do this now? 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable
I believe you're right. I think Mobile Movie Texture only supports OGG format, so that's not very practical for 360 videos. Easy movie texture for Android looks promising, but I think it's essentially doing what the MovieSamples Oculus script was doing before already.

I'm using Unity 5.1.3p and Oculus Utilities 0.1.0 and can't get video working.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just posted on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23312

"cybereality" wrote:
Media Surface functionality is currently removed with First Party support. It will be added as a separate plugin to the First Party Utilities package in the very near future.

barryzundel
Explorer
So, right now our only options are to:

1 - Continue on with the 0.6.1 SDK and MediaPlayerSample.cs

or

2 - Use the Oculus Utilities for Unity and try to use a 3rd party video player (ie: Media inside of Unity.

Does that sound correct?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, that makes sense.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

EffektEtage
Explorer
Hopefully this will be soon!

The performance of Mobile Movie Texture on the latest GearVR with a Samsung S6 is absolutely horrible. I tried lots of different encodings via commandline and other theora converters. While I achieved good results with this plugin on other VR Environments (Cardboard etc.), it is plain unwatchable on the GearVR.