cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go controller touchpad issues (discussion)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Related bug report can be found here: https://developer.oculus.com/bugs/bug/470815390013567/

The touchpad on the Oculus Go Controller sporadically reports significantly incorrect values for touch positions, mostly biased towards reporting a position of (0, 0) when the touchpad is clearly being touched, particularly towards the top of the touchpad.

What are your opinions on this, have you noticed issues or is everything working as intended for you?

62 REPLIES 62

tmek
Protege
Yes I have absolutely run into this. Not just in my own development  but in other published games from the Store. 

Unless it can be fixed in a firmware or software update it basically makes the touch pad useless except for "swiping" inputs.  I really hope it can be addressed with an update of some kind..

I've shown this video where it just sometimes gets in a state where it won't register touches in the upper quadrant and returns (0,0) despite touching there even with considerable pressure.  At about 1:15 and on I'm making full circles on the touchpad with my thumb and yet you'll see the visualized dot will almost never register anywhere in the top quadrant. 

This issue 'magically' goes from working to not working and back again.  The touchpad input just does not seem reliable at all.   I don't know if it's static electricity or perhaps dry skin or what exactly causes the issue.  

https://youtu.be/VhSspoKEmRw?t=1m13s

Slin
Expert Protege
I've been trying to use the touchpad for moving the camera and after a while of moving forward it suddenly stops working for that direction... So far I blamed the rotation of that input vector with the controller rotation, but if you are having the same issue I suppose it really is the touchpad 😞

Swamp7hing
Protege
This is absolutely an issue and I have experienced it while developing in Unity and also in other applications already on the store. It seems like a software problem and not a hardware problem but I could be wrong – unreliable controls are not part of a good VR experience, Oculus should look into this ASAP.

motorsep
Rising Star
@CoffeeOD

If you report bugs in the link you posted, chances for Oculus responding are very slim. Try Contact menu where you directly send bug report to Oculus using a "form".

@NinjaGaijin Could you please pass this issue on to the Go team ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

motorsep said:

@CoffeeOD

If you report bugs in the link you posted, chances for Oculus responding are very slim. Try Contact menu where you directly send bug report to Oculus using a "form".

@NinjaGaijin Could you please pass this issue on to the Go team ?

@motorsep This topic is more about discussing touchpad issues and hopefully providing more point of views for anyone (including Oculus staff) that might be interested in this issue. Bug report was send by someone else but contains great information for those who are not familiar with topic subject. If someone were to report bug, I agree contacting directly would be best method.

Swamp7hing
Protege
@imperativity Do these lower level issues mean there is a possible firmware fix incoming or is the fix impossible and will the touchpad continue periodically reporting incorrect zero values?

Swamp7hing
Protege
Bumping this thread as I am still experiencing the issue; it is especially visible in games such as Dreadhalls where you cannot actually move forward as the Go controller requires you to hold up on the pad, and unfortunately that direction isn't working 99% of the time.

motorsep
Rising Star
@imperativity

Originally it's been said that Oculus Go controller will be identical, functionally, to Gear VR. Now it appears that it is not, we either need a way to verify (in Blueprints in UE4) whether user is on Go or on Gear VR to adjust control scheme automatically (this isn't desirable as my game needs the same functionality for controller as on Gear VR) or we need for Oculus to roll out firmware update to fix the issue.

Could you please find out the course of action Oculus is going to take with this issue and an ETA on the solution ? Thanks beforehand

RuptureGames
Protege
Has this issue been resolved?  I'm downloading the oculus go example scenes now but don't want to wait.  From what it sounds like we can't use the touchpad as a directional input?  Is this correct?