cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outputting from Oculus Go with Unity onto PC

sara_hanson_123
Explorer
I am using an application developed in Unity for the Oculus Go and the Gear to run an experiment that collects data (accelerometer values) while users are in the headsets. On the Gear, I was able to use Unity's Application.persistentDataPath to write the data to a file on the Gear.  When I use Application.persistentDataPath with the Go, the file does not appear in the correct place (i.e. on the PC > VR Headset > Android > etc). I debug logged the path to make sure I was checking the right path, and I am, but the file is not there.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue? Does anyone know of a workaround to get Go data to write to a file? I have previously used adb logcat for gathering data during dev, but I need the data to be immediately written to a file for running subjects.

Thank you!
2 REPLIES 2

jolaya
Honored Guest
@"sara.hanson.12382"
I was having the same issue. Have you added the permission to write files on your ApplicationManifest file? That was what I was missing. It goes right under the opening <manifest> bracket

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />

Also you wont see your files until you restart the Oculus Go

sara_hanson_123
Explorer
@jolaya This worked! Thank you very much.

For anyone else with the same problem, I had already set the external file permission in the Unity Inspector, restarted the Go, and <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" /> was already in the Android Manifest file. However, opening the Android Manifest file and then restarting the Go made the Go start logging my data to an external file! Seems funky, but worked for getting the Go to write.