cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I release a demo as well as a full paid version of my game?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I'm about to release my Gear VR game to the Oculus Store. However, I have been debating if I should also release a free demo version. This was initially my plan, but after discussing the idea with friends and professionals, I got different kinds of feedback. The first thing I am concerned about is that the free demo won't actually be 'physically' connected to the paid version (I believe the store doesn't allow you to do that, they have to be two different games), so players may be confused. I was also told that the free version may end up in a different section like the 'gallery' section, which may confuse players even more. Additionally, other developers told me not to release a demo version because players will just try it and never purchase the paid version. So I have a bit of a dilemma here, I personally want players to try the game first and make sure they enjoy it enough to pay for it (or they may leave bad reviews just because it wasn't their kind of game and didn't realize it at first), but I have been advised otherwise by other devs... Some people mentioned to use DLCs but I don't want to go down that path.

What do you think? If you've released a game, did you have a similar issue/experience?

Thanks for your help

1 REPLY 1

tkdHayk
Protege
The VR community is accustomed to paying for Demos. There is no need to make a free one :')