cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Reality SDK Oculus failed to initialize

markLaurel
Explorer
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to do my first VR project using Unity developing with GearVR. The problem is, I keep getting the alert "Virtual Reality SDK Oculus failed to initialize".

I've got the Oculus SDK installed, as well as the OSIG in my asset folder.

What other steps am I missing?

12 REPLIES 12

Halfspacer
Adventurer
You're getting this error when you "build & run" to the phone? Does it end up just displaying one eye? Does it refuse to run all together?

markLaurel
Explorer
Refuses to run in play test.

Halfspacer
Adventurer
In the Unity Editor or in the GearVR? The Unity Editor will naturally throw a "Virtual Reality SDK Oculus failed to initialize" unless you have a PC-VR headset connected to your PC. You need to build and run your project over to your phone.
The "Failed to initialize" errors don't usually result in a refusal to run though. It should just default to standard monoscopic rendering - So I'm questioning whether I'v really understood what you meant. 

markLaurel
Explorer
Yes @Tolin93 , you understood perfectly- thank you. I'll try the build & run to see if I can get the project on the phone.

Halfspacer
Adventurer
It still shouldn't refuse to run in the Editor though. When you hit play, aside from the (yellow) warning in the console, do you get any (red) errors?

markLaurel
Explorer
no crit errors, just alerts

Halfspacer
Adventurer
Then just ignore it 🙂 It's just a Unity warning letting you know it's not finding a connected VR headset. When you deploy and run on the phone the Oculus SDK will run as it should as well.

markLaurel
Explorer
Interestingly, I'm able to build regular android APKs.

But when I try to build for gearVR I get the following.

qut71ceoshso.png

This is my project setting
ucv1jemqsik6.png

Halfspacer
Adventurer
Under "Player Settings", try setting your Target API to Level 23. That should fix it. 
It sounds like you might have an older version of the Android Build Tools installed.