cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First impression of someone who never used a VR headset before

Webcruise
Explorer
Hello VR-friends,

I want to give my experiences for the best. This is my first VR glasses and I have tried them since today and already many apps and other things.

The main reason why I bought the VR glasses were the excellent reviews and the low price (you can't do much wrong). 

Unfortunately the quality of the picture is not as expected. I can clearly see the fly net effect and there are other points I immediately noticed. No question, this thing is made of high quality and the controller is also great. Unfortunately, as is so often the case, some things are lacking. 

I bought the glasses to watch mainly movies and reactivated my Netflix contract today. Unfortunately, it doesn't work when I'm on my back? I don't understand why Oculus doesn't require these third parties to have such features built in. Nevertheless, I am convinced that this function will still come. In terms of resolution, I would have wished for more, the video image is nice and big but not really sharp as you know it from TV. Unfortunately, I don't think it will do the movie theater any good (I don't need it) to improve the quality of the movie. 

My question about the maximum image quality has been answered (more than 720P) is certainly no added value. 

The audio quality is good enough and really quite good (I would have wished for support for Bluetooth headphones anyway; hopefully it will come soon).

The quality of the headset is great and surprisingly light if you've heard it weighs half a kilo. 

I am also glad that it works well with glasses and I have large ones and have no need of the spacer.

What would I wish for the future? 
- Much higher field of view
- Improved 
- Much higher resolution (at least comparable to 1080P)
- A much wider viewing angle without edges

Incomprehensible are the many small bugs that occur in such a company; and there I will surely find much more (e.g. no Bluetooth support for headphones, Netflix video not usable if you are lying on your back etc.).

Surely there will be some updates; hopefully.

I'm still happy and it's fun, let's see how long. I'll copy some movies via Mac and Android File Transfer, see which formats work 😉

Many greetings,
Alexander
Munich

14 REPLIES 14

Pickleschlitz
Expert Protege
I have three sets of headphones: Oppo PM-1, Sennheiser HD590 and beater Monoprice bluetooth ones. They all have detachable cords. Do they still make headphones with the cable permanently attached? Every bluetooth headphone I've ever seen comes with a regular plug to use with devices that don't have bluetooth. Monoprice has a set like that for $20.

I just bought a battery pack. I plan to connect that too and put the battery in my shirt pocket. I don't think it's going to impede me at all to have a short usb cable going from the headset into my shirt pocket.

rsilvers
Explorer
I am an early adopter of higher end displays having bought $5000 computer monitors before, $4400 HDTVs when they first came out, and Apple 30 inch Cinema Display the first year. I even rented a $120,000 video camera for my wedding. I am happy with the Go displays. Whenever I am watching a video that is not good enough, it is always the video itself and not the display. 

That being said, a rumor is that Apple has 8Kx8K coming out in 2-3 years. That sounds great. Now if we just had 8K8K VR180 camera.

chuffedfox
Protege

Webcruise said:

Hello chuffedfox,

first of all, why do you think that Oculus is advertising the "wireless" feature so much. Because it makes sense. You are right, that the ear is just a few centimeters far from the earphone jack, but who has such a short cable (I would have to buy one) and nowadays it is almost standard to have cable less earphones (I use the AirPods from Apple). I find the cables just annoying, especially when using the "Go" without having the chance to see anything and in having the risk in ripping of the cable. Any low budget smartphone offers this feature and I am sure its a matter of cents.

And it would be handy to connect also e.g. an Xbox Controller too.

Best regards, Alexander 

There is nothing in the laws of physics to stop you from ingeniously making that cable shorter.... like maybe in the same way that they come packaged... 😉

I find it odd that you're using Apple as a case study for success, when they have been widely panned for removing wired headphone support.

Wireless headsets make sense as it allows you to move around and move your head unimpeded.   Unless your ears are sited on another part of your body, you'll probably find that you're complaining about something that is borderline pointless as a feature  😄

AnnoyedDragon
Protege

Tpfitz said:

It's already using bluetooth for the controller. Just plug your headphones in. I got a short cord for my cans that works perfectly.

My crap android tablet can have 2 Bluetooth connections at the same time. No excuse for the Go not having multiple Bluetooth capabilities in 2018. I was shocked after I bought it to realize it doesn’t have Bluetooth headphone capability 

I'm a bit lost as to why you would need Bluetooth connectivity to connect to something that would provide absolutely no benefit for being wireless.  It's literally a few centimetres from the headphone port, which is a completely different design requirement/usefulness when compared to having something in your pocket or sat on a desk etc.

So, in short, they didn't add them because it doesn't need them.  Not adding unnecessary things is probably the reason why the Go is so cheap, especially compared to the Lenovo offering.

Because it would require people who already own high quality wireless headphones to go out and buy a wired pair; just for the Oculus Go headset. I already own wireless Bose ear buds, the Go is literally the only reason I'd have to consider buying wired ones.

Pickleschlitz
Expert Protege
My wireless headphones have a plug and cable to go wired too. I think IEMs are the only thing that might not have the option of going wired.