cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep downloading content on Go while not using it in your head?

OPP360
Honored Guest
Hello,

I've noticed that downloading of content stops progressing when unmounting the Go HMD. Is there a way to continue downloading content while not using the device. I live in the middle of wilderness so my internet connection is kind of slow... Cheers for the info!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tpfitz
Protege

OPP360 said:

Hello,

I've noticed that downloading of content stops progressing when unmounting the Go HMD. Is there a way to continue downloading content while not using the device. I live in the middle of wilderness so my internet connection is kind of slow... Cheers for the info!

You’re right. If your internet is slow (mine is too), then it CAN stop downloading while not in use. I originally thought the device didnt download in background while not in use too, so I put a clothe over the sensor to keep in on. This usually fixed the issue and downloads seemed to keep running way better.

Also, only download one thing at a time. Multiple downloads on a slow network will make it more prone to stop downloading while not in use from my experience.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Roaster
Rising Star
Mine downloads while idle, and in fact tells you it will do so when you take it off. Maybe if you plug it into the charger?
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

OPP360
Honored Guest
Ok. First of all, we did not receive a charger with the package. It's the same all over europe I've heard. So at the moment I am charging the device via USB2 port on my mac. When plugged in, it seems to vary depending on the software downloaded. For example Within VR content seem to be downloading just fine, but software from the main menu keep stopping.

Roaster
Rising Star
You'd maybe do better with a 1.5 or 2 amp cell phone charger, but I have no idea if different software uses different rules for resource utilization. I'll have to look for differences. Seems nuts to have to keep it on to keep it on.
fyi the oculus charger is 5v 2a
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

OPP360
Honored Guest
Yes, I'll change to iPhone charger. I was in an assumption that USB-port would have even more amps, but no. The port is only 0,5amp and the iPhone charger is 1.0amp. Guess i should find which one of those is my iPad charger and use it. Or do you think it could hurt the Go, when iPad chargers seem to be 2.1amp. Atleast it would charger faster.

LZoltowski
Champion

OPP360 said:

Yes, I'll change to iPhone charger. I was in an assumption that USB-port would have even more amps, but no. The port is only 0,5amp and the iPhone charger is 1.0amp. Guess i should find which one of those is my iPad charger and use it. Or do you think it could hurt the Go, when iPad chargers seem to be 2.1amp. Atleast it would charger faster.

Most chargers have overvoltage over amperage and overcharge protectors in it and display MAX amperage capacity.

I am using one of these for the GO 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A42R46G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
works perfectly.

It should download apps when you have your HMD on the table, you can even install apps using your iphone/android app remotely.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Roaster
Rising Star
Not sure.
5v is 5v regardless of the capacity. A higher capacity charger just maintains closer to 5.0v under load. Surely there is a voltage regulator in the headset, or a charge regulator.
By comparison my 18650 charger caps the charge rate at 500ma. And takes forever.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

OPP360 said:

I’ve been using an iPad charger for mine (one of the older 10W ones) and it works perfectly. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

cybereality
Grand Champion
See here for compatible chargers.
https://support.oculus.com/536364990076727/

Also, the headset should be able to download games while you're not wearing it. I believe I've done that.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

brentoni
Protege
I am sure it should still download when you take it off but if you really want to be sure that it is still downloading you could try covering the sensor when you take it off so it stays on. 
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?