cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a VR solution for a handicapped person with Multiple Sclerosis - limited muscle control

tbullock1
Explorer
Hey all -

My mother-in-law has MS and is basically incapable of moving more than her arms and head at this point.  She sits in a chair in front of a TV 10-15 hours a day.  Horribly sad.  I have had the idea of getting her out of her chair by using VR.  But her hands are very limited in use and she shakes quite a bit.  Her voice is even extremely impaired b/c of the MS. 

I have used a Gear VR in limited amounts so I'm not well experience in VR.  Can any of you let me know if this is something that could be used by here?  Could her husband set it up, launch and app/video then place on her head to enjoy?  I want her to walk on a beach, sit in a concert, zip line through the jungle, soar in a glider...anythign to give her a new view in life as she sits! 
6 REPLIES 6

LZoltowski
Champion
I would start with the GO ... it requires a minimal investment and the remote/controller works in 3 axes, meaning it would be easier to hold than a full motion controller of the Rift. 

There are plenty of apps and experiences on the GO, plus recently a whole library of Youtube VR.

There are also regular concerts, meditation apps and fun games too.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

tbullock1
Explorer
thank you @LZoltowski  - do you know if I can start something with the Go on my head, then move it her's and it keeps working as it would on mine?  Are there any sensors that would turn it off when removed from my head before I could put it on her? 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Just be mindful of VR sickness at first in certain apps.

kojack
MVP
MVP

tbullock1 said:

thank you @LZoltowski  - do you know if I can start something with the Go on my head, then move it her's and it keeps working as it would on mine?  Are there any sensors that would turn it off when removed from my head before I could put it on her? 

It does have a sensor that will turn off the screens when you take it off, but it doesn't shut down the headset. If you take it off and put it on someone else within a certain time (not sure, maybe 10 seconds?) it will just light back up and continue. If you take longer than that it will bring up a calibration screen for the controller when it is put on. All you need to do there is aim the controller forward and hold the home button for about 2 seconds (because the controller and headset use gyros, they can get out of sync).
Of course you could do the calibration yourself for someone else wearing the headset, it's just holding a button while aiming the same way the headset is facing. I've done that when I've demoed things to people on the Go.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

tbullock1
Explorer
@kojack thank you for that info!   Much appreciated!

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can disable the screensvaer and increase the time to turn the screen off.
This gives enough time to switch persons.
In most cases, due to the sensor, you will be required to start the movie/experience again by pressing play.
So far Oculus has not implemented a remote function for the paired phone, so you might need a workaround.
Once thing should work is to do a screencast to another device.
Then hubby or some other person can use the remote with the feedback on the normal screen to control the GO for your mum in law.

At least for videos and with some players you can create playlists.
Might be an option if someone can change the content and setup new playlists when needed.