cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC Address for Oculus Go Wi-fi access?

wic1
Explorer
At the university where I work, our networks either use captive portals (where a webpage/user agreement is presented to the user before they are granted access to the network--currently, these are explicitly not supported on the Go) or I need to register the MAC address of the device ahead of time in order for it to be granted access to the wifi network.  Can anyone tell me how to find the MAC address for an Oculus Go?  It would be nice if it were printed near the serial number, but that does not appear to be the case.
13 REPLIES 13

wic1
Explorer
Ok, so here's how I did it (although this seems ridiculous)

1. Made a hotspot on my Windows 10 laptop (Start --> Settings -->Network & Internet --> Mobile Hotspot), set a password, and turned on "Share my internet connection with other devices."  Note: This assumes that the computer you're creating the hotspot on already has access to the internet

2. Used the Oculus app on my phone to connect the Go to my new mobile hotspot.

This will give you internet access on your Oculus Go. For some people, this may be sufficient and they can stop here, but it requires that you be in relatively close proximity to the computer you're creating the hotspot on, which doesn't meet my needs.

3. Go back to the Mobile Hotspot settings window and scroll down (yes, apparently you can scroll down despite the absence of scroll bars. If I'd realized that I would have solved this a lot sooner.  Not that I'm bitter about Microsoft's poor interface design or anything.  🙂

4. You will see the device connected to your mobile hotspot and its MAC address (BIA, Ethernet Hardware address, EHA, network address - i include these terms to make this solution more searchable) which looks something like this: 2e:16:17:01:77:b8

5. Turn off "Share my internet connection with other devices" in the Mobile Hotspot Settings.

6. Copy the address and use it however your network requires to register the device--email it to your sysadmin, paste it into a web form, etc.

7. Use the Oculus app to connect the Go to the network you have just registered it on.

That's all.  But this would have been easier if the MAC address were just printed on the device.

Also, I believe Macs also have the ability to create personal hotspots, so the specifics of creating the hotspot might be different, but this solution should probably work for a Mac user as well.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Thanks for sharing. We're looking at ways to display the MAC address in the future.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

symbiont
Explorer

Thanks for sharing. We're looking at ways to display the MAC address in the future.

We use MAC address filters here at work. The MAC address of every device needs to be known by our network router before internet access can be enabled. So there is currently no way to display the MAC address of an Oculus GO? If not, that is really problematic.

Thank in advance!

wic1
Explorer
Thanks. 

In addition to printing it on the device, you could list the MAC address (or a link to it) on the wifi setup screen in the Oculus app.

Also, since you have already paired a specific Oculus Go with a specific user account by that point, you could send an email to the associated email address with the serial number, mac address, and any other relevant info so the user would have it to keep for future reference.  Otherwise, they'd have to go through those setup steps again I listed above if they need to register it on a different network. 

Also, I think it would be useful to at least address the issue of the MAC address in your wifi trouble shooting guide, even if it's just to say that there's currently no way to display it.

symbiont
Explorer

wic1 said:

Thanks. 

In addition to printing it on the device, you could list the MAC address (or a link to it) on the wifi setup screen in the Oculus app.

Also, since you have already paired a specific Oculus Go with a specific user account by that point, you could send an email to the associated email address with the serial number, mac address, and any other relevant info so the user would have it to keep for future reference.  Otherwise, they'd have to go through those setup steps again I listed above if they need to register it on a different network. 

Also, I think it would be useful to at least address the issue of the MAC address in your wifi trouble shooting guide, even if it's just to say that there's currently no way to display it.

I just solved it thanks to your suggestions and ideas, wic1.

• I just activated the Mobile Hotspot on the same mobile where the Oculus app is running
  • Chose the Mobile Hotspot through the Oculus app
  • Could get the MAC address of the Oculus GO from the android settings "connections -> mobile hotspot & tethering -> mobile hotspot" settings. It lists all connected devices including the MAC address

Thanks again!

symbiont
Explorer
Thanks for your suggestions, wic1! I just solved it using my mobile.

1) Enabled the Mobile Hotspot on the same mobile where the Oculus app is running
2) Chose the Mobile Hotspot in the Oculus app and connected the Oculus GO to it
3) Went to the Android settings "Connections -> Mobile Hotspot & Tethering -> Mobile Hotspot" on the mobile
4) There will be a list with all connected devices to the Mobile Hotspot
5) Choose the android... device that is connected and there it is: it shows the MAC address of the Oculus GO

Thanks again.

QuakerScholar
Honored Guest
I’m running into the same issues with a university network. I appreciate any suggestions on how to deal with this with an IOS device. I can’t find any clear way to get a MAC address for the Oculus GO, even if it’s connected to a IOS mobile network. I could also temporarily move it to a friend’s private network, but I have no idea how to get the MAC address from that.

andrewsoohwanle
Honored Guest
To those looking for their MAC address (esp. on iOS), you can find it on-device by:

1) Holding down both volume buttons on the updating screen; this will show you the wifi connect screen
2) Using the controller to tap on the settings (gear) icon (you may have to turn off the wifi with the toggle before)
3) The mac address should be visible!

Rayne23
Protege
If you utilize Mac Filtering, Just look under ARP List from the MAC Binding tab found in your Router. It will tell you the MAC Address there. Still though, Oculus you guys definitely have to let us see the MAC Address from the headset.