cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus GO Use when Plugged In?

Shadowmask72
Level 16
I think a number of people are worried about Oculus' recommendation of not using the GO whilst "charging" . I am not sure if that extends to plugged in whilst the battery is fully charged, but let's assume it does. The 2.5 - 3 hours battery life comes as a bit of a downer if say a movie lasts 3 or more hours (and there are plenty of those in recent times). One of the GO's biggest selling points is viewing movie content, but seems to stumble with the battery limitation. Also for those on long haul flights/journeys, having to charge the device back up to full can take up to 3 hours which is a bit of a shame. Some people are likely to opt for an external portable USB charging unit to keep the device topped up or recharged when in the field.

Now I posed this question on Reddit which was kindly answered by Oculus tech communications officer Lisa Jaloza who reiterated not to use GO whilst "charging". No other reasons were provided.  But it's the reasons why that is important here. Are Oculus simply being overly cautious or is there a real danger of diminishing the life of the battery far quicker when using it this way.

There is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence as of now where people have used the GO whilst it's plugged in/charging with seemingly no ill side effects. However, we don't know if there is risk over the longer term to the battery life or potential hazard of something much worse. 

@cybereality Please can someone at Oculus answer this question in greater detail rather than saying a blanket response. I think this is quite important and if there is no real risk to users then surely they can be the judge of whether they want to use it whilst plugged in. 

That said, PL has just offered a tear-down showing the 2600mah battery inside making a good case for modification to a better battery.

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
61 REPLIES 61

Zenbane
Level 16

Plan-B said:

Um ... what about phones? What an odd statement.

Well, if you're talking about modern smartphones, the usage pattern is different from a vape. On average, a phone can easily be 14-16 inches away from your face during screen time

What about cars? They can explode, discharge electricity, or simply burst in to flames. And your entire body is trapped inside. Including your face.

Other things that expose the human body to extreme dangers in close proximity:
Boats, Airplanes, Roads.

Shadowmask72
Level 16
I've used mine whilst charging and yes the front portion can get a little "warm" so I wouldn't recommend for longer periods. However, I have noticed that if simply browsing the Internet it will charge more than is using which is cool.

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.