cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go forgot the unlock pattern and will not unlock or reset from app

flashpirate
Protege
I was going to email Oculus support, but surely someone else will have this issue.

I set a very simple and memorable unlock pattern. It worked in VR once, and tonight I'm unable to unlock the Go with the in-VR interface nor with the app on iOS. I am certain of the pattern.

On iOS I'm unable to set another pattern, and if I try to remove the pattern, after entering my correct pin:
1) it asks me for my unlock pattern, which makes no sense, but I try entering the wrong pattern and it rejects it.
2) I enter the right pattern and it accept it, in the app, so the app is sure of the correct pattern.
3) The screen dismisses and goes back to PIN entry where it says "Something went wrong" (Seriously, Oculus? Seriously? That's useless.)
4) If I enter an incorrect PIN I cannot do any of the above.

The headset will not unlock no matter what I do, after restarts and shut downs and closing and reopening of the app on the phone, etc.

Also, one other little issue, if you have the unlock pattern set, you see black on the screen if you try to connect to a computer until you restart the device without being connected.

So, I feel screwed right now. I really don't want to factory reset. I spent hours setting this thing up.
9 REPLIES 9

flashpirate
Protege
Also, whenever I try to set the same or another pattern, the Confirm button spinner just spins until it errors.
wbltrj6ulusz.pngkxfxwh90pdhw.png

And here are screen captures of the PIN unlock sequence I mentioned above:
jnioo3wzfnqb.pngnfhbmay70ekg.pngp7q6rb2ftb0a.png

CaryMGVR
Expert Protege
Notice how there's no response from Oculus Support ...?
This whole "Need A Phone To Use A Phone-less Device" thing has been a royal
cluster-eff from Day One ....  Hopefully Oculus will banish it to Hades where it
belongs with their first Go firmware update.

desiv
Expert Protege

Notice how there's no response from Oculus Support ...?
To be fair, this forum isn't the official way to contact Oculus support.  😉
While I think they should definitely allow it to be phoneless, I don't have a problem with the phone connection.
I wouldn't call it a cluster at all.  But I do think they can improve it by removing that requirement.

desiv

flashpirate
Protege
Oh I know they cherry-pick the forums. I submitted a support ticket too. I don't want others to feel alone when they hit this issue.

Unsurprisingly support wants me to reset it to factory, which is probably the laziest and worst resolution there could be. This is after hours of customization and money spent in the store. I'm pushing back. I'll share where this goes.

desiv
Expert Protege

Unsurprisingly support wants me to reset it to factory, which is probably the laziest and worst resolution there could be. This is after hours of customization and money spent in the store.

I suppose it would be OK if they store most of the config with them as well.  So that after you factory reset and then reconnect, your config goes back to what it was when they last saved.  (Obviously tho, last good, not last with you still locked out.. 😉
My guess is however, that is not what they do...
Might be a nice option in the future if they don't tho.  After you reconnect, maybe an option to restore to last known good config?
Interesting..
Let us know how it goes! 😉
Good luck.

LZoltowski
Champion

Oh I know they cherry-pick the forums. I submitted a support ticket too. I don't want others to feel alone when they hit this issue.

Unsurprisingly support wants me to reset it to factory, which is probably the laziest and worst resolution there could be. This is after hours of customization and money spent in the store. I'm pushing back. I'll share where this goes.

Games will not be lost and you can reload them after the factory reset. 

On a side not actually I I am hoping for more customisation in the future, I would like custom environments for the dash area,so we can import our own 3d 360's
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
flashpirate, sorry for your grief.

Oculus's best guesses are meeting the real world and as is common in the technology arena are being found wanting. Early days (he says with 50 years of experience with computer hardware and software of all types), the platform will evolve and us early adopters will be part of the reason that it does.

flashpirate
Protege
Eh, not showing how much free space the device has on the device or in the companion app when they literally differentiate their two models on the number seems to be a more real world AND best guess kinda thing than a buggy pattern unlock that cannot be bypassed hell or high water (why does this need to be as secured as my encrypted laptop?). But that's my take as a software engineer with 20+ years.

---
Support came back for round two and forced me to wipe the unit. On the plus side wiping took only about a minute. On the minus side I had to watch that stupid pairing video again, and also spend literally hours getting everything back as I wanted it.

For those curious, there are 51.33GB free after a wipe, and I got down to 11GB free after loading my stuff.

No idea if games are in the cloud or I lose progress after a wipe. Given this isn't Steam, I assume the latter.

---
Anyway, I'm back in VR, but anyone else encountering this issue should definitely chime in here and get support to address it. At the very least they need to fix the ability to remove a pattern forcefully.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same problem, but how can i factory reset it when my phone asks for the pattern to do so?

It also asks for the pattern to "remove the pattern via phone" which was easily done on my 2nd quest 2 unit (i am trying to unlock my son's quest 2 ,   and somehow the pattern i set isn't working... and i used the same pattern for both units. 

at this point i WANT to factory reset his unit.... but i cannot figure out how..
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?