cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go "stand-alone" requires a mobile phone... pfff....

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
I just go Oculus Go, and now after starting it up first time it says it requires a mobile phone.

I just got this because I didn't want to use my mobile phone for VR.

I'm very confused, it clearly states "STAND ALONE". Which means I should be able to use it without any other device requirements.

I can't. And I won't. I got Go for a reason, to keep it my VR stuff separated from my JOB phone, which is the only one I got.

So I can't bypass this "start by installing the *app* on your phone" without pairing it to a device that I don't have any control over.

108 REPLIES 108

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
Maybe I'm just a nuisance because I don't want to conform to facebook?
Oh things would be so much easier...I've been told... "just give in".

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

EarlGrey said:

Maybe I'm just a nuisance because I don't want to conform to facebook?
Oh things would be so much easier...I've been told... "just give in".

Giving in is definitely not the answer. There are legitimate work-arounds to all of this. Like creating alternate (fake) email accounts and a fake Facebook account. Use a Proxy Server with your home networking.

There are intelligent remedies to privacy concerns. What makes someone a "nuisance" is when they resort to needless public banter focused on "everything but the solution" instead of simply solving their own problems.

Another work around, especially for someone in your shoes who has hated on Facebook for so long... is to simply avoid buying Facebook products. But instead you keep buying Facebook products and then quote the Dictionary in order to launch online crusades. It's a bit silly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:
Its not the fact that it requires a phone for setup though - I am sure everyone is cool with that. It's just in the Facebook ad if you look at it - it says no phone required - but then you do research and even here you are saying it as well - it does require a phone.

Yes they are - and it's not really that big of a deal - but I can see why some people might get upset thinking no phone is required when there is one required for setup. It makes sense why these threads keep popping up here and there.

Stop cheerleading for EarlGrey. The outside of the GO box clearly states that a phone is required. Something you'd know if you actually owned the device.

LOL ok CHEERRING AWAY! xD I am not but if you wanna say I am I will no problem either:) There was an ad flying around (wish I could've taken the picture from my facebook) that said no phone required for weeks. Granted it might say it someplace else - but the ads are facebook were wrong for sure.

Either way, you are over blowing it for what I am getting out - I am just saying an ad from their facebook is saying other wise - to me it's really not that big of a deal - but its there. Simple as that.

As for why they require a phone for setup - that still silly though if you ask me. Might as well make it work without it if you can.

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
The saddest thing in all of this is... my Go is just sitting right there, doing nothing. All I have to do to activate it is to give up on my principles.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why are you doing that? It's not like that is a big deal really man. You are sort of over blowing the "I don't want to do that" out of the water a bit.

EarlGrey
Expert Protege

Mradr said:

Why are you doing that? It's not like that is a big deal really man. You are sort of over blowing the "I don't want to do that" out of the water a bit.

Because it's bait-and-switch.
They advertise one product at a certain price, only to give you another product.
I feel the same way. I bought a standalone unit, without requiring a phone. But the go requires a phone and requires you to give up your phone data.
It's a classic bait-and-switch when I think of it. The only thing is,  you only find out after you've bought the product!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

EarlGrey said:

It's a classic bait-and-switch when I think of it. The only thing is,  you only find out after you've bought the product!

You're having fund with the trolling today lol

The fact that the phone is required is made available before the product is bought. And anyone who doesn't like Facebook shouldn't be buying Facebook products.

And as mentioned in this thread already, you can just borrow someones phone for the setup process.

This thread is 4 pages of Derp.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

As for why they require a phone for setup - that still silly though if you ask me

It's not silly, and you don't actually have GO so no one is really asking you. But hey if you wanna keep spamming how "silly" you only think it is, then I'll keep reminding you of other pieces of Hardware that require companion Apps for setup even though they technically don't have to:
  • Alexa
  • Google Home
  • Amazon Kindle

None of those hardware products can function without an external computing device for setup. There's a real reason, and I've told you several times (full OS extensibility). But you're closed off to it intentionally.

I think what's truly silly is how you, someone who doesn't actually own GO, is so active in a thread about GO owners.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

As for why they require a phone for setup - that still silly though if you ask me

It's not silly, and you don't actually have GO so no one is really asking you. But hey if you wanna keep spamming how "silly" you only think it is, then I'll keep reminding you of other pieces of Hardware that require companion Apps for setup even though they technically don't have to:
  • Alexa
  • Google Home
  • Amazon Kindle

None of those hardware products can function without an external computing device for setup. There's a real reason, and I've told you several times (full OS extensibility). But you're closed off to it intentionally.

I think what's truly silly is how you, someone who doesn't actually own GO, is so active in a thread about GO owners.

What's your point about owning a GO and not owning a GO? Are you saying no one should have a right to post their thoughts on about a product from an outside source? Are you saying that thread sections should be closed off unless you can prove you own that product? Should we just close off support section as well because the forum users here are not really from Oculus support? Should we just close up this forum all together because no one really works for Oculus and that at the end of the end is pointless to comment here just because at the end of the day - Oculus has the final say? Seem like you are trying to be a closed minded person Zen:) 

Yea and that limits their sell value - but at the same time - there are a number of people that don't want to pair it with another device if they don't have to. Again - it doesn't make much sense to pair it with an app for setup. It makes little to no sense both from a support level or a hardware level. You end up with the same stuff at the end of the day in terms of updates and support you still have to give to the product.

You clearly don't understand GO still runs android at the end of the day even if the app runs on IOS or Android. 

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
I had some issues with that too....i only had Windows 10 Phones and there is no Oculus App for those....
Then i lend a Huawei P8 Lite but Bluetooth wasn't working with that device(could not be paired).
I then lend a Samsung Galaxy S4 and i could do the setup..but....when i paired a bluetooth gamepad with the Go there was a huge input lag and i couldn't use it...

Now i bought a cheap Nokia 2 and all is working.....

BUT! This is not Standalone as i always need my phone around. Just to pair the Controller for example. YOu need the phone and not only for the first time setup.

Alexa has no GUI so i understand why it needs a phone app to setup - but the Go?
Why do i have to use a phone with that device? i have a GUI inside the Headset so i could setup wifi and everything there. Why can't i pair a controller using the Go? Is Bluetooth tethered through the phone?

There are other TRUE standalone Headsets(and with more than 2 hour battery life....) out there - like the Mirage Solo. When HTC and Lenovo could get that right...why not a Company which is dedicated to VR?