cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing stereo cubemap panos on the Oculus Go

kimblarsen
Explorer
I have found only one way to view my own rendered 360 stereo cubemap panoramas, and that is using the Oculus 360 Photos app and copying my images into a folder under the Pictures folder on the Oculus Go. One issue I have is that I can see the edges of the cube faces in the Oculus Go as faint single pixel edges. Is this a known issue, and if so how can it be avoided? Another issue I have is that the preview images show parts of two cubefaces, when they really should show only one. My images are 18432x1536 JPGs.

When trying to view the same panoramas using the Gallery app on the Oculus Go dashboard I get garbled imagery. Is there a way to view the stereo cubemap panorama images using the Gallery app, say by adding the correct suffix to the filenames?

Best regards,
Kim Baumann Larsen
www.kimsarc.com
10 REPLIES 10

ryan_VDC
Honored Guest
I'm running into the same issue. Our primary planned use for the Go is to share 360 panoramic images created in Lumion/Maya, but the only way I've been able to get them to display correctly so far is via the 360 images app, not the Gallery as originally advertised. I either get a black screen or severely distorted/stretched image in the Gallery, whereas the same exact file displays correctly in the 360 Photos app. 

The issue with using 360 Photos instead of Gallery is that it does not appear to support albums, which is what we need in order to load multiple projects onto the Go to use during presentations. In addition, linking the Go to Dropbox will correctly display the thumbnails in each folder for 360 images but after loading any of them, I only get a black screen. 

Will Oculus be addressing this issue? I'm not clear on why the Gallery app does not have the same functionality as the 360 Photos app. We need the Gallery to display these panoramas correctly and within albums as advertised. Also, would it be possible to add Box.com support instead of only Dropbox for cloud storage? Our company uses Box as an enterprise solution so we would prefer that platform for sharing content to our Go.

LabulleCreation
Protege
Great thread, I'm in the same situation. I'm trying to do a Unity app to do this, but the resolution, even with OVROverlay is clearly inferior to Oculus 360.

No love from Oculus support ? o:)

ryan_VDC
Honored Guest
Been pretty disappointed with Go support so far. Seems like a lot of hype over a platform that developers aren't supporting and even Oculus itself is unresponsive.

LabulleCreation
Protege
The Archviz and affiliated use is clearly underestimated by Oculus, for some reason.

Oculus 360 has been downgraded to a barely usable state, first versions on Gear VR and CV1 were great, but the current version has no folder support and the transition between images displays the menu each time, switching to monoscopic and repopping the stereo cubemap, which is really disturbing.
Many threads have been created last year about the issue, nothing has changed.

Oculus Gallery isn't supporting standard stereo cubemaps, which is really a shame as this solution is the most straightforward and they already have the code, but it's certainly not their priority.

I would really like an answer here, why this usage is so ignored ? Why some very minor and already implemented in the past features are not made available, as the implementation seems to be pretty easy ? My small company is really trying, but the drawbacks and development cost of custom solutions are pretty high and disappointing so far.

The Go is a wonderful device and we would be happy with a very simple solution : just a slideshow with folder and cubemap support. It's frustrating because it's there, made by the same guys, but split in two pieces !

GracefulMonkey
Explorer
Just got a GO, and rendered out some Cube stereo images from Vray, and cant use them! I could last year on the GearVR, why not now?

LZoltowski
Champion
Guys, for development question and issues there is an active developer forum section, this forum is more community run and consumer-oriented.

Here is the developer forum
https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

mediavr
Protege
If you install the new "update" for Oculus Go's 360 Photos you wont be able to see any panoramas at all in My Photos-- cubemap, equirectangular, any ... -- there will be just a message saying "Use the Gallery app" ... Oculus why have you done this? Is it some wacky deal with 360 Cities (who provide the rest of 360 Photos panoramas)?

LabulleCreation
Protege
I don't have access to the Go right now and haven't checked for a few days. Are you sure it's the case ? Any way to backup the previous apk ?

EDIT : have seen the changelog. Oculus, please respond quickly to this.

mediavr
Protege
I am absolutely sure it is the case.

I dont know how to back up to apk but the update is not compulsory I think -- at least not yet. If you find out how to back up the apk, and how to revert from the new one, I would really like to know! 

The same update message appears on GearVR but I learnt my lesson with the Go. Samsung VR app on Go has some cubic modes but they are not the same as Otoy output (ie. Facebook, aka Carmack format). My understanding is that the Samsung video format naming conventions apply to still images btw ... these ..
https://samsungvr.com/portal/content/faq_tech_gear_vr

360 Photos rendering "was" (in my case, having updated) superior to anything else but Samsung VR cubic format panos look OK and Orbx Go app works with Otoy format panoramas and lua scripted Otoy panorama virtual tours (but not video elements I think) on Go.