cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vridge/Riftcat Experience

Vinoh
Adventurer
Driven mostly by technical curiosity, I've finally got all the pieces in place to try out some Vive and Rift experiences on my Go. My only usable machine is a 2016 MacBook Pro so I made an external bootcamp disk with a tiny WD 500gb SSD to run Riftcat and SteamVR. Given that the MBP only has a Radeon Pro 460, I was surprised at how well it all works and have no doubt it would be great if I invested in an external GPU. Of course the graphics is not as smooth as native Go experiences, but some of the apps are quite usable. One in particular, Lucky's Tale which is a free Rift app running with the help of Revive, looks really good.

The biggest issue is the controller. The Go controller doesn't work at all so the app must support a gamepad to be of use (my old xbox controller/USB adapter and my Stratus XL work fine). Unfortunately, not many VR apps support gamepads though. I'm really hoping that the Vridge folks soon come out with a Go version that works with the Go controller if that's even possible. Another option is the Nolo CV1 controller set which I think would provide 6DOF in this scenario, but for me it would be overkill even at $200 without better graphics performance. Project Santa Cruz will probably make more sense.

So all that said, I'm on the search for decent free or inexpensive apps for the Vive or Rift that can use a gamepad for input. Any suggestions?
0 REPLIES 0