cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do smart phones have to be shoe horned into everything now?

Failrunner
Level 7
I don't see any reason as to why a smart phone app is required to set up this headset. I have that taken care of and I love the headset but it seems like people just require smart phones to use everything even if there is no reason for it. Why can't I just put the headset on and set it up through vr menus and maybe have the smart phone set up as an option? I don't mind a companion app. It's very convenient. However it shouldn't be a requirement. Especially for a headset that advertises as not needing a smart phone to use. Also at least have it on the box in big enough letters that grandma can actually see it. Not tiny fine print that no one would even notice. Not everyone could even read that. I personally feel fine print should be required to be big enough so everyone with vision can see it by law. Anyways now that i'm done whining and moaning about the only thing I hate about the headset this thing is awesome!!!!
37 REPLIES 37

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

falken76 said:

Mervatar said:

Thanks for the quick replies, this isn't sounding too good. I'm having to borrow a smartphone for the start-up from someone I don't see very often, so I can't keep bothering them every time I want to use the OG. They may have the app already as I think they have the Rift ( will that work, does that app cover Oculus Go as well, sorry but I don't do apps, so not familiar with them? ), but I need to check. If they do have the app & they stay logged in to it, will that work for me, even though they are not nearby? Will I still be able to use the OG without having to bother them? To be clear, I haven't actually purchased the OG yet. This need for a smartphone is putting me off, tbh. My gf is actually looking for a suitable smartphone as I type this, but it adds another £155 to the cost. It's a Samsung J5 ( 2017 ), is this okay? Your help on this matter is much appreciated.

Get the cheapest throw away smart phone from a crap porvider like Cricket or PC Metro, you might find a piece of garbage for $30.  That's BS though, because you incur a monthly fee.  Or does Oculus also insist on this being used with flagship versions like the Galaxy S8 or whatever the hell they're on now and Iphone?

I don't think you actually need cellular service to set up the Go (you can install the app on an iPad that's wifi-only). You just need a compatible iOS or Android device with blu-tooth and wifi to connect to the Go and link it with an Oculus account.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

Zenbane
Level 15
You also need the Internet. This tends to have a monthly fee.

merv60
Level 4

Pixelfox said:

Zenbane said:

I prefer comparing this to setting up Alexa. It requires a Smart Phone. Yet no one complains about that.  

Perhaps nobody complains because there's a PC Alexa App and also a web-based Alexa interface, so you don't actually need a phone to setup and manage Amazon Echo devices.

So you still need a "device" to access the web interface then, in this case, a PC or Mac .. would people be less annoyed if they had to use a PC to set up the GO? I think they would be less happy, no?

Personally, I would love it if I could do the start-up on my laptop, I could buy the OG & get on with it, instead, I'm on here doing all sorts of research questions & may have to buy a smartphone as well. This is what makes me " less happy ".

Failrunner
Level 7
Do people really want everyone to have access to VR? Also remember if you are on Android you at least need to be running Marshmallow which is mentioned nowhere on the box even in print that peoples grandparents can't see. I didn't even know this until someone had an issue where his smartphone wasn't compatible with the app and an admin spilled the beans. It was a secret. 😉

Zenbane
Level 15

Do people really want everyone to have access to VR?

If this thread reveals anything, it is that some people should NOT have access to VR.

rsilvers
Level 3
I wonder what percent of Go buyers don't have modern smartphones? It never occurred to me that would be an issue, band probably not to Oculus either, but evidently it is. I see lots of negative reviews on Amazon from people who are early VR adopters but don't own modern smartphones. 

Tpfitz
Level 4

falken76 said:

Pixelfox said:

Zenbane said:

I prefer comparing this to setting up Alexa. It requires a Smart Phone. Yet no one complains about that.  

Perhaps nobody complains because there's a PC Alexa App and also a web-based Alexa interface, so you don't actually need a phone to setup and manage Amazon Echo devices.

So you still need a "device" to access the web interface then, in this case, a PC or Mac .. would people be less annoyed if they had to use a PC to set up the GO? I think they would be less happy, no?

I don't think a lot of people these days have PCs and Macs like they did in the 90s and early 2000s.  A good majority of people are content with just a cell phone or tablet.  Not me, but most people are like this now.

Bingo. I have a smartphone so setting up wasn’t a big deal, but not having a PC (I’m tablet only) is a HUGE inconvenience to me In transferring files with the Go. Huge oversight on Facebook/oculus team.

if I dropped my Go and broke it .... I wouldn’t buy a new one. No Bluetooth headset support, no native WiFi/Bluetooth file transfer capabilities, pc dependencies, otg transfer not active at launch, ui seems half baked and rushed, etc...

For a “stand alone” device ... the Go is pretty dependent on other devices .

I think we all got played. The Go was just a beta phase of Santa Cruz and we all paid $200+ to be beta testers. 

fungusman
Level 4
I agree. I wanted to buy one for my parents but they do not have a cell phone or wifi. These California Developer types thinking everyone in the world is Microdossing lsd while managing 500 freebsd docker images lol 😛

They should really crack out a Nintendo Wii and take notes of how simple it is. I mean they got pretty close, but yeah, there is no way my mother or father would be able to figure this out. The pairing app was stuck on first install, they would have returned it to the store at that point.