cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the performance ever improve for games on Go?

Anonymous
Not applicable
 I noticed that out of the 25 to 30 games I own 75% of them are not fully smooth.  This was the big reason why I bought Go because I always thought that it was my computers that were causing these problems with performance. Now that we are on an all included device I expected there to be no issues with performance at all.

Every game has some flicker or stutter that happens occasionally. I know that this is mobile VR but I feel that the performance should come before graphical textures being really high resolution and such. Don’t give me wrong I love some of these games still even with the kinks, but it would be fantastic to have a fully smooth experience even at the cost of some graphical fidelity. In VR immersion is king, and graphics are secondary.

I know some of this comes down to the developer updating the games but if these games are on the store they should really push these developers to make them run really smoothly on Go. 

I am also wondering if this is just because this is just the first few oculus updates and they may figure out tricks like asynchronous space warp for mobile?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AnnoyedDragon
Protege
Maybe I don't notice performance issues because I'm not 'in tune' with VR quirks, but the only slight judder I've experienced thus far was from the Darkness rollercoaster app; which I put down to porting. Drifting has been a far bigger issue for me and that's usually resolved by rebooting the device when on a flat surface, at least for me. There is also the odd crash to desktop, but that's usually caused by pressing the home button at a awkward moment.

We have to remember, pretty much all the content in store right now is a port from Gear VR. There is very little, if any, content that was designed for the Go from the ground up. Possibly the Oculus games but everything else is copied over, it's going to take time for things to settle down and we really start seeing native content.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

cybereality
Grand Champion
The games should be smooth. Can you name a few games that you think aren't running well?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
I own two Go’s and they both have slight hangups in the same games I own for both. 
You name the game and more than likely there is some type of issue that I’ve noticed.

There are some that are more high offenders than others. I mean I can’t be the only person especially with so many artists on this site that hasn’t noticed millisecond hangups and millisecond stuttering and sometimes crippling performance like when you get to the end of a level in baskhead. Even Anshar Online struggles a little but not bad enough for me to complain too much.

When games load it struggles in the beginning. Whenever something loads it struggles. When I get further in levels it’s struggles. It is not a constant thing though.
It goes from being really smooth to slight hangups to being really smooth again. It happens in just about every game and I bought most of the high profile ones. Even the Oculus studio games stutter sometimes and have reprojection when things pass by. For instance in mission ISS the beginning intro is a lag fest. You see reprojection everywhere and being that this is an all included device this should not be happening. There’s no variables it should be solid through and through.

Anonymous
Not applicable
 Don’t get me wrong this is a $200 device and I am happy with it. I’m just curious if anyone else has noticed these little issues being that I’m coming from the Rift and have never owned a gear VR. Maybe this is to be expected?

Anonymous
Not applicable
 I have a very sensitive eye for detail.  Maybe most other people don’t notice these things like I do.

LZoltowski
Champion
Verry odd so far I have no issues, can you give me a game example so I can compare it on my GO? Im a stickler for detail too so would be good to experience the issue you are having so an example of a Game ould be great
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
 I will go do some testing and get back to you as soon as I make a list. I will try to break down what’s happening in what game.   Thanks for the response man. 

LZoltowski
Champion

UBSERD said:

I will go do some testing and get back to you as soon as I make a list. I will try to break down what’s happening in what game.   Thanks for the response man. 

Thanks for posting and thank you for making an effort for a list, would be great to compare etc and try to get to the bottom of the issue, we shall then go bearing torches to the devs of the games 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
 Smash Hit -  during gameplay it starts pretty smooth and as soon as I get to the first door way to go into the next area I’m getting hard stuttering that lasted for 1 second then back to smooth. 

VR Karts -  in the tutorial level I’m getting slight hesitation in the background while making turns. This is pretty consistent but not fully noticeable to most people I’m sure. When playing with bots this gets increased exponentially. 

VR Sports Challenge - I played one game only and that was the football grabbing game. I saw several hard hitches when the balls were heading my way, and a lot of stuttering hands when moving your cursor about. 

End Space -  Initial load ends up struggling. Once in the game there are micro stutters that happen occasionally. This is just in the tutorial with out any ships present other than mine of course.

Racket Fury -  When starting a game there is a bit of initial hitching.  During gameplay you can see the robot drops in frames in front of you. It’s very subtle but it’s there.  Very playable though.

Baskhead -  Starts really smooth in the beginning but by the end of the level the frames go down into the single digits when the balls start coming really fast. 

Drop Dead -  there is a lot of reprojection when zombies are moving especially from left to right,  and the cinematic in the beginning where you meet your team for the first time has a lot of reprojection.  Like a doubled image.

Ocean Rift -  The frame rate is not solid. Sometimes it’s smooth but sometimes it hitches. 

Anshar Online -  The initial load has hard hitching.  Occasional frame drops while flying around. This game is pretty smooth for the most part though but still it shouldn’t be doing this. 

Dead Secret Circle - Starts smooth but then as soon as an event happens, I get a slight hang up. Like when you first start playing the game and you’re walking into the house when the door opens for the first time it pauses for a split second. The doors in the game also have reprojection when opening them.

These are just some of the experiences I’m having issues with. Maybe I’m being too nitpicky and should just except that this is a $200 piece of hardware and I can’t expect it to hit its frame rate all the time. It’s still fantastic none the less. But it would be nice to have rock solid frames all the time.

LZoltowski
Champion

UBSERD said:

Smash Hit -  during gameplay it starts pretty smooth and as soon as I get to the first door way to go into the next area I’m getting hard stuttering that lasted for 1 second then back to smooth. 

VR Karts -  in the tutorial level I’m getting slight hesitation in the background while making turns. This is pretty consistent but not fully noticeable to most people I’m sure. When playing with bots this gets increased exponentially. 

VR Sports Challenge - I played one game only and that was the football grabbing game. I saw several hard hitches when the balls were heading my way, and a lot of stuttering hands when moving your cursor about. 

End Space -  Initial load ends up struggling. Once in the game there are micro stutters that happen occasionally. This is just in the tutorial with out any ships present other than mine of course.

Racket Fury -  When starting a game there is a bit of initial hitching.  During gameplay you can see the robot drops in frames in front of you. It’s very subtle but it’s there.  Very playable though.

Baskhead -  Starts really smooth in the beginning but by the end of the level the frames go down into the single digits when the balls start coming really fast. 

Drop Dead -  there is a lot of reprojection win zombies are moving especially from left to right,  and the cinematic in the beginning where you meet your team for the first time has a lot of reprojection.  Like a doubled image.

Ocean Rift -  The frame rate is not solid. Sometimes it’s smooth but sometimes it hitches. 

Anshar Online -  The initial load has hard hitching.  Occasional frame drops while flying around. This game is pretty smooth for the most part though but still it shouldn’t be doing this. 

Dead Secret Circle - Starts smooth but then as soon as an event happens, I get a slight hang up. Like when you first start playing the game and you’re walking into the house when the door opens for the first time it pauses for a split second. The doors in the game also have reprojection one opening them.

These are just some of the experiences I’m having issues with. Maybe I’m being too nitpicky and should just except that this is a $200 piece of hardware and I can’t expect it to hit its frame rate all the time. It’s still fantastic none the less. But it would be nice to have rock solid frames all the time.

Awesome, thanks for compiling the list! Will have a "GO" at these tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Bed time for me now!

Be kind to one another 🙂