cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FROM STONE Challenge 2nd September

Sterling77
Rising Star
FROM STONE CHALLENGE 2ND SEPTEMBER > 

So this challenge is a very traditional based challenge, from the early days of zbrush I always wondered how cool it would be to chip away at a block to reveal a design and form. So the future is here in Medium and we can do this style of sculpture 🙂 

Challenge Rules > 

1. A block provided will be used for all challengers - a resolution that is sufficient for detail and ram usage. 
  2. You can't add geo to the block - just take from > patience and discipline will be the key.
  3. You can scribe out the design with the surface brush or paint the design from reference.
  4. Any negative brush can be used 
  5. If you want to paint it .. Awesome ! 
  6. If you want to leave some stone behind .. Awesome !
  7.  Please stamp your Oculus name at the base of the piece > if the sculpture was to be 3D printed, it would look so much cooler with your name inset into the design 🙂 
  8. Have fun ! 
4r9fxs2f141p.jpg

Reason for the late date is i'm considering entering the Avatar Design Comp 🙂 .. :neutral:

@InkyTheOctopus @FrozenPea @P3nT4gR4m @nalex66 @Martinity @MattHickman @DeadlyJoe@Calmfixup 
@southerngfx @FearDaAlien @pieroman @Calmfixup @Heartajack
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook
10 REPLIES 10

MattHickman
Rising Star
*Ultra Hard Mode* No undo

:wink:

Sterling77
Rising Star

Ouch ! that would hurt 🙂 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Sounds like fun!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
I'll give it a go, even though I'll totally suck at it. I've tried doing this already, and I already know that it's really hard.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hahaha! That was going to be my first question.

This is going to be crazy hard but I will try give it a go! I've been really busy lately so hopefully I can find the time 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was just looking up how they do it with real marble sculptures, and this guy is using a 3D reference. might be a good way to help with this challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyWeksAo8VM

nalex66
MVP
MVP
That's pretty cool to see, but in the case of Medium, where you could superimpose your reference mesh/object in the same physical space, it might reduce the challenge to a trivial copying exercise.

I intend to approach this by picturing what I want my final result to look like, then carving away anything that isn't part of it.  😉  We'll see how that goes...

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I guess the other way to cheat this would be to take reference stamps, say from the anatomy collection, use them as cutting tools to make negative impressions in a block, save that block as a custom stamp, and voila, you have a stamp that can be used as a cutting tool to create copies of the reference stamps in one click!

Anyway, my approach will be to use only simple cutting tools from the standard stamp library rather than any elaborate custom stamps.

Anonymous
Not applicable
haha yeah you could cheat pretty badly with this challenge with the mesh ref! I think i'll try do it from memory/images instead like you mentioned 🙂