cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing obj with intersecting meshes as stamps - problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Everyone,

I've trying to make my own stamps in Maya and then import them into Medium to use as stamps. I have made about 20 stamps but most of them are simple geometry and some are using intersecting meshes which don't work well in Medium.

Here an example:

Normal model using two pieces of geo intersecting (all looks good in preview page)l1w3r441hemr.jpg

Here is what it looks like after running a Boolean -> Union in Maya. The mesh is all water-tight
7f7f4sv4nz9b.jpg
ed295db73r7j.jpg

You can download the meshes here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwvhwj7RGYOpcVl2TnNqd2FaQ28
Joint_01 - intersecting 
Joint_03 - boolean

Anyone have any advice on how to get it to work properly? 🙂

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
haha so I unknowingly created the 'worst case scenario' import as my first import? Sounds about right!  😄

That clears things up perfectly, I just went through and did a bool + tri to all my other meshes and everything is importing perfectly now, thanks so much! 🙂

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Surely it aint a quad at that point, it's an n-gon?  

duncankeller
Protege

P3nT4gR4m said:

Surely it aint a quad at that point, it's an n-gon?  

Right, well regardless anything with > 3 verts will get triangulated in Medium. However it does a "quick and dirty" triangulation since we are very performance minded with the stamp code. So if you have a mesh that looks like this:
p9jb6xv7hq5d.png
Medium will take a quad, or n-gon, or whatnot, and may triangulate it like this, just depending on which order it grabs the verts in:
vo10owhfymuc.png
Which was the case with the above mesh. As you can see, it unfortunately leaves the T-Junction.
c9aycue07jc9.png
Annoying. If you triangulate it in Blender/Maya/Etc, it'll probably be a bit smarter, and triangulate it like:
83zzvh5q5btx.png
T-Junction annihilated! 

For now it's just going to be one of those edge cases you have to pay attention to and fix in your editor of choice. We might be able to handle it better in future versions, but no promises since we are under kind of a unique set of constraints.

Happy to answer any more questions if you have 'em.