cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medium Crash on Startup: How to Fix?

alxmars_
Honored Guest
I just bought an Oculus Rift + Touch, and got it set up this last Saturday (August 11, 2018).  I'm really excited to use Medium, and it's the single biggest reason why I got VR, and why I chose Oculus Rift specifically!

Unfortunately, I installed the Medium app first, and I haven't been able to get it to work.  I've downloaded and tried multiple other VR apps since then, and all the ones I've tried so far work without issue (including Quill, Robo Recall, and Skyrim VR via Steam).  So far this problem seems to be specific to Medium.

This post of a similar question from August 8th with a helpful answer seems like the most complete set of recommendations, all of which I believe I have tried.  Here's a list of what I've done in approximately the order I tried it in:
  1. Reinstalled NVIDIA GeForce drivers normally (once express install, once clean custom install, once again normal install with stopped services, restarting services after full install and system reboot).  I seem to be on the correct and current version, per the GeForce experience app and seemingly my device manager, v398.82 (screenshots included).  I notice that it's a slightly newer version than mentioned in the post I linked.
  2. Deleted 'My Preferences' folder in Documents/Medium (I didn't have to make one myself).
  3. Oculus HMD is plugged directly into GPU.
  4. Reinstalled Medium itself 3 times
  5. Reinstalled Oculus app from scratch, and then medium again (just once)
  6. Repeat step #1: stop service, reinstall driver, restart Oculus and try to start Medium.
  7. Restarting my PC at various times during these steps
Here are my abbreviated specs:
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor 3.00GHz
  • RAM: 16GB 
That said, looking over the last lines of the logs, it seems to be an issue with Vulkan.  Googling the problem didn't seem to get me anything useful (inserted extra newlines for formatting):
08/13/18 18:15:58 : Vulkan verify failure (-4) at line 493 of src\Vulkan\renderDeviceVulkan.cpp

08/13/18 18:15:58 : Vulkan verify failure (-4) at line 493 of src\Vulkan\renderDeviceVulkan.cpp

I'm attaching a zip file with the entire log folder, plus relevant screenshots (including those of my specs) according to GeForce.

I'll also be emailing a summary to medium@oculus.com.  Thanks so much for your time!  I can't wait to use Medium!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ernestw3
Protege

Hi @alxmars! After some research, the crash you
are experiencing is due to the GPU you are currently using, “Nvidia Geforce GTX
Titan” being below our Oculus minimum system spec to run Medium 2.0.
We do apologize that you're unable to use Medium 2.0 with your current
configuration. Medium's recommended spec is i5 CPU, NVIDIA 1060 or AMD 490 or
higher for best performance. However, if you'd like to be rolled back to version
1.3.3 for production purposes, please email medium@oculus.com.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ernestw3
Protege
Yikes! First off, apologies that this is happening to you after first installing the app. Thank you for taking the time for providing us with details and logs from the crash. We will be looking into this issue and reach out to you as soon as we can figure out the problem along with a solution to help fix it. 🙂 One questions for you, have you tried launching Medium with the Rift Core 2.0 beta setting switched off?

alxmars_
Honored Guest
Hi, @ernestw3 !  Thanks for looking into my issue!

It seems that my Oculus app had the the Rift Core 2.0 beta setting set to off already for all the steps described above.  However, I did just flip it on and start Medium (I noticed a different loading splash) and got the same failure.  I subsequently turned it off and tried again, to get the same crash behavior (the white screen with the Fatal Error popup).

Looking at the logs, I don't notice a substantive difference between final lines of the two failures (they both end in the src\Vulkan\renderDeviceVulkan.cpp lines).

I'm including another zip file of my logs -- the most recent two correspond to these attempts if this will be helpful for you.  The attempt with Rift Core 2.0 set to on is at 3:05PM Mountain Time (US), and the attempt at 3:09PM corresponds to turning the beta back off.

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it!

ernestw3
Protege

higher for best performance. However, if you'd like to be rolled back to version

ernestw3
Protege

alxmars_
Honored Guest
Thanks for getting back to me, @ernestw3 .  I suspected that was going to be the answer.

I'd like to not get frozen at 1.3.3 forever, so it looks like it's time to upgrade!  New GPU en route now.

ernestw3
Protege
Awesome! In meantime we can put you on 1.3.3 until your new GPU arrives.  Just send us your email linked to your Oculus account so that we can add you to the whitelist for this version. When you are ready to move to 2.0 please notify us via medium@oculus.com once you have upgraded to your new GPU. 🙂

alxmars_
Honored Guest
I just emailed and asked for the 1.3.3 whitelisting.  I'm excited to begin using Medium soon!  Thanks again, @ernestw3 !

SUBV3R7
Explorer
@ernestw3 I have a similar problem. My drivers are up to date, but my card is below minimum spec for Medium 2.0 (all other Oculus apps work). May I also have a link to version 1.3.3 of Medium ? Thank you

passghost
Honored Guest
My wife is using a GTX 970 right next to me and it's running smooth. However I am experiencing this problem on the exact same GPU.  The reference to the Titan above is rubbish.