cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medium’s community site

naycorn
Heroic Explorer

Since Medium officially launched on Tuesday, we’ve seen some amazing Medium creations on social media, reddit, and our forums - we’re so thrilled to be connecting the world with art.

Today we’re excited to announce the soft launch of Medium’s companion community site. There’s now a place to save and share sculptures, stamps, screenshots, and in-VR recordings with your friends and other artists.

We set out out to become a home for creativity in VR: a place where you can  explore new ways of expression, share art, and collaborate with others in ways you never thought possible.

elbdz7yp2mu7.png

Sharing

There are two main ways to share from inside Medium.

1. Upload the sculpt you are currently working on from the “Share” button in the Home Screen (next to “Export”)

2. You can look at your Assets Browser(The right hand panel in the Home Screen) to view your personal stamps, screenshots, and recordings. When you select an individual asset, you will reach a menu with which you can Share and Name that asset. (Please note - you’re unable to share sculpts through the Asset Browser, only the Share button).

Sharing will bring up your default browser that pops up behind Medium, so you can continue creating in Medium while uploading. Once uploaded, you can change the description of the asset, choose whether it’s public or private, and attach a Creative Commons license to it (more on Creative Commons licenses on the http://oculus.com/medium/guidelines Guidelines page). Everything you upload and make public will be on your personal Artist Gallery page, where a friend or collaborator will be able to download your creations straight into Medium as well as into high-resolution OBJ’s.

Right now, to share assets with each other, you must share Gallery URL’s with each other. (It’s also a good idea to bookmark your Artist Gallery URL for yourself!). Discoverability is a work in progress, but we’ll get there soon!

32 REPLIES 32

Lieb
Protege
@Smallpoly
When running under a different account than the asset is made with, it considers it to be someone else's asset. Because of permissions, you can only upload assets that you 'own' because when you click upload it actually posts it to the account that you are currently uploading with. If you're ok with the currently signed in account owning the asset, you can use "save as" to save a copy of the asset into the current account and then upload. 
re: 500 MB limit -- Have you run into that yet? I'm a bit surprised that you're hitting that with Sculpts. Recordings, sure. The 500 MB is per-piece of the upload and most parts are compressed; the 500 MB is after compression. If you have an example Sculpt that you're hitting this limit on, let me know, I'd like to investigate a bit further. 

@P3nT4gR4m
re: blog
I'm not sure that we've really considered a dev blog. We've been so heads down just getting Medium and the sharing site out the door that it just hasn't come up yet. I don't think we really want to play things close to our chests... I think we want to be super open about what we're working on, at least as much as that is possible as part of a larger organization. I think that now that we've shipped, we're just starting to look at these sorts of ideas.

@SH80NE87
There are some options in the settings menu to mess with skybox, background color. You crtan also use scene mode to modify lighting a bit. Beyond that, exporting and bringing into another app is probably your best bet.

Olly1000Errors
Honored Guest
I was also excited about. but yes a shame it's only in the US.
For those of you facebook users interested in sharing your work, discussing technique etc. I made a non official group for doing this.  It would be nice to connect with other VR artists on there 🙂
https://www.facebook.com/groups/347342288985977/

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Are medium sculpts in a portable format? ie. could I just download a file and stick it in folder-x and then load up the sculpt in Medium or is it a big complicated package of stuff? Could be us second class citizens could just use FB for the time being.

Lieb
Protege
@P3nT4gR4m
You can zip up the files (Documents\Medium\Sculpts\<username>\<sculptname>), email them, unzip, and it should work fine. 

NIXPRO
Explorer
So does anyone know the proper way to upload exported oculus medium creations into sketchfab? It's saying something is wrong with the shading when I upload it to sketchfab and it looks like no texture..

Henri1970
Adventurer

Disappointing, not being able to share or collaborate as I am outside of the US. Such a shame to have reduced functionality in this awesome program. I hope European and other users do not get locked out from other functionalities in Oculus, social and other. Fantastic program however, enjoyed hours and hours creating stuff.

ps.  You would not believe how much time I wasted trying to upload....an in program notification would be practical.

Roaster
Rising Star
@Lieb
Is there going to be a button to browse others uploaded content? Typing in the address for other artists seems to work if you know who to look for, but I keep getting "no content uploaded" messages for most.
Is it ok to post our addresses to let others view our artists page?
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

MattHickman
Rising Star

Roaster said:

@Lieb
Is there going to be a button to browse others uploaded content? Typing in the address for other artists seems to work if you know who to look for, but I keep getting "no content uploaded" messages for most.
Is it ok to post our addresses to let others view our artists page?

Yes, please do share your galleries with whomever you'd like! We're going to be adding functionality to the site and rolling it out slowly over time (Our team is mostly made up of former game developers so the whole sharing website thing is new to many of us so we're taking it slow). You will start to see discoverability features come online in the future, but for now, please share your links and work!

Henri1970
Adventurer
in the US only <- Any news when full functionality will be available outside of the US?

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Henri1970 said:

in the US only <- Any news when full functionality will be available outside of the US?

It already opened up internationally, a couple weeks ago.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo