cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Medium Suggestions

slipgatecentral
Explorer
TL&DR: Medium is a very nice toy, but it's hard to be productive in it. 

After playing for few hours with it, I have some ideas that might improve this software for professional artists, without ruining accessibility for beginners.

-Almost very tool needs an alt modifier, that will allow user quickly switch to alternate mode. Example - for clay tool, to cut holes you need to open menu, select "Erase", and close menu. Needs to be faster, preferably holding modifier button on left controller (like the one we got for alternate tool). Every sculpting 3d software has this - primary function can be switched instantly to it's opposite.

- We must be able to select same tools for primary and alternate, but they must not share settings. This will be extremely useful in many cases. Like, you can paint using 2 different brushes with different color.

- Desperately need move/pull tool. Smudge doesn't do much. If there's no room on the palette I suggest removing useless swirl.

- Need an option to customize brushes and my palette. Would be great to have my own selection of saved tools with different settings. Time saver.

- Need bigger color swatch accessible from menu. Right now only 3 colors in it.

- Eyedropper tool takes too long to select. It also needs a button modifier for quick operation, like Alt key in Photoshop.

I am a professional 3d artist and I'm looking forward to work in VR. Those are just first steps but I see tons of potential in VR sculpting. 
323 REPLIES 323

JasonW
Protege
One thing I wish for in addition to masking, is better surface sculpting. Once I finish sculpting primary and secondary forms, I want to add texture like tree bark even If I have to sculpt all the detail myself without image masks. I've tried sculpting wood grain by turning on the surface constraints, but its very difficult to control surface depth and the stamp jitters around like crazy if the surface isn't perfectly smooth. Would like controls to:

1. Set a surface radius to average normals so that smooth surface painting can be achieved. Sometimes the jitteriness is desired if it helps create randomized texture, but it's mostly just annoying or impossible to get the right look.

2. Set a surface depth with a slider so that a desired stroke depth can be achieved. Its currently possible to reposition the tool tip inside the stamp to achieve depth effects, but it's very difficult to get right.

finkbom
Explorer
would it be possible  to set sculpt blend method  - between hard and soft like in dreams?- 
https://youtu.be/Yav0SIUB2pg?t=806
-hopefully that shows what i mean-
this is another example- (not dreams)
https://youtu.be/uYvf3d2nTTs?t=23

is this possible in the way medium is programmed (ie its voxels is it not?) and i know dreams is signed distance fields - and the other example is raymarching (?)

also/or-(im sure people have asked )- a way to mask part of a layer so it does not merge together)

-ps thanks for medium 

j

Metrons
Expert Protege
I think I've asked before, but please, please, please, please let us scale the stamps. I would love to use my left hand and scale in Y or X on the stamp to change the shape. SO MANY possibilities with a single stamp now. Scale using a manipulator and a reset to default option. That's all I ask. This would be so killer! Pleeaaaaaaaase!!!!

JasonW
Protege
@finkbom That's really interesting. Love the sculpting tools in Dreams. I wish we had soft blend, additive and subtractive sculpting in medium using stamps that can be scaled non-uniformly.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ability to lock the plane/line when using that mode.  Idea would be that you could draw a line segment, release the trigger and resume the line at a further point.   Similarly, say if placing a stamp in single placement mode, could place again on the same plane.   Maybe lock  it, then it records the next placement and doesn't forget the plane until unlocked.   This would be useful for all sorts of pattern effects.

On the screen where you can set scaling/taper/speed for laying down clay... would be cool to have a function (checkbox?)  that lets you draw the line you want, then have the machine calculate increments between the stamps.  Basically you'd draw your curve, then instead of figuring out the trigger pressure or movement velocity, and laying them out as the machine gets to processing them, it would figure out the arc and how far apart to evenly gap them, then draw the line.  Might get a little lag (like when you use elastic move), but the tradeoff would be precision in distance. 

If Flood fill gets implemented, would be awesome if you could do a direct spectrum shift (keeping light/dark values) on stamps.  Basically a slider that would turn greens to blues, or make tonal adjustments. 

Metrons
Expert Protege
I'm also requesting a CLOCK inside medium. When i'm at work i have NO clue what time it is, how long i've been sculpting etc. if we could have a clock somewhere, i think that could be very handy.

Also, i know people have mentioned radial symmetry and such, if we could enter numeric values for that 'plane' for the symmetry and also, let us DRAW out the plane. for example, lets say i need to make armor around a guys thigh, or arm, i'd love to draw a point A and point B that would show the general direction, then i could use a manipulator and adjust the plane so it's more centered in on the limb. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Metrons said:

I'm also requesting a CLOCK inside medium. When i'm at work i have NO clue what time it is, how long i've been sculpting etc. if we could have a clock somewhere, i think that could be very handy.

Also, i know people have mentioned radial symmetry and such, if we could enter numeric values for that 'plane' for the symmetry and also, let us DRAW out the plane. for example, lets say i need to make armor around a guys thigh, or arm, i'd love to draw a point A and point B that would show the general direction, then i could use a manipulator and adjust the plane so it's more centered in on the limb. 

If such a feature is included, please make it possible to hide completely.   There are times when a stopwatch/countdown timer/alert might be handy when doing speed sculpts, but I don't think it's a feature I'd use often.

A clock, showing the actual time, constantly in my presence (or even popping up periodically), would absolutely kill the sense of complete detachment and escapism that I get when using medium.  Personally, when I put on the headset, turn on the music, I want to immerse completely.  The constant reminder of the "real world" would definitely break the illusion and be a buzzkill in a huge way.

I can understand why some people would want a clock.  I'm just not one of them.

Metrons
Expert Protege
Toggle on or off I totally agree with. In no way does it need to be on all the time but...o do have meetings and it would be nice to have some clue of the tome.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Be cool if the mirror plane was sticky. Like in surface constrained clay mode, if the target line attenuated the whichever side the controller was on. It'd be a bit easier than currently to carve a center line in something. I quite often find myself wanting to do that (especially with teeth)

IbegU2Rift
Protege
Would it be possible to to add "negative" mesh in a layer, so it could act like boolean modifier ?