cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance issue?

beldolor
Honored Guest
Not sure where to start trouble shooting this.... but I'm experiencing a couple issues. 

1) is stuttering with larger size brushes in medium. It reminds me of using too high of res or too large a brush in photoshop or working on too big a model in a cad program. Still getting used to "scale" in medium but dialing the default sphere to the middle size+ will cause this. Smaller bushes are ok but makes a model lack in detail or too dificult to flesh out. 

2) is the grips don't seem to respond every time - such as when releasing the model (it stays "held") or when trying to zoom in and out (it moves the model instead). 

Any thoughts on what's going on or what I should be checking on my system? I use revive on the vive so that may be part of the issue?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

beldolor said:

https://youtu.be/yU5OI4Gv-84 maybe not helpful but this is what its doing, max brush size. 

Oh hells teeth, yeah. You definitely got an issue there. In terms of scale I found it helpful to start paying attention to the layer bounds (thin black lines) It's a kind of visual clue as to where you are resolution-wise. As you scale the stamps on the tool hand, they take up more or less voxels.

Because you're dealing with volume, rather than a 2d pixel matrix like with photoshop, making the stamp bigger will have a much more pronounced effect on the number of voxels you're laying down and thus a bigger performance impact.

As you scale the layer, you'll notice the stamp will seem to change size accordingly. Eg if you imagine your stamp uses 100 voxels and you shrink the layer down, the stamp will seem to get smaller but it's still using the same number of voxels, it's just that you've effectively shrunk the size of a voxel.

The default sphere size I tend to find a bit on the big side so I'll always shrink that down a fair bit before I start sculpting. If you're scaling the layer at the same time, you're just complicating the issue. I'd suggest only scaling the stamp to begin with until you get a feel for it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Stamps will stutter when they get bigger or higher res. There's technical reasons for this. In effect it's basically the same thing as the big-photoshop-brushes issue, only your brush is a 3-d voxel array, rather than a 2-d pixel one.

Regarding "zooming" there's only one way to zoom in VR and that's to move your face closer to the sculpt, everything else you're doing is scaling the scene or layer which is pretty much impossible to do without moving it a bit. If the sculpt aint scaling at all, just moving it sounds like one of your controllers isn't registering. Might be related to the "staying held" thing.

Vive might be the issue. Is adding another layer to the software stack which is never ideal. Your hand controllers working fine on everything else?

beldolor
Honored Guest
The default sphere is also a stamp then, right? I don't recall the issue so much before the large update (which coincided with an update to Revive) so I'm trying to sort out what is causing it now. I am thinking its a technical limitation perhaps, it gets my CPU up to 100% use and frame rate its terrible. 

By scale I meant more of what size to start with. In photoshop I've always had a rough idea what size canvas/resolution/brush size my computer could handle. If the stuttering is a technical limitation I just need to figure out how to find that ideal spot for medium.

But also on the topic of scaling... did the update implement a minimum scale? It stops at a certain size and wont get smaller just move around.

Everything else works basically as well as it did prior to the update. Controllers register fine, tracking is good, interface is fine... even the grip thing I can get used to, especially since I suspect that may be a revive thing. 

beldolor
Honored Guest
https://youtu.be/yU5OI4Gv-84 maybe not helpful but this is what its doing, max brush size. 

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

beldolor said:

Oh hells teeth, yeah. You definitely got an issue there. In terms of scale I found it helpful to start paying attention to the layer bounds (thin black lines) It's a kind of visual clue as to where you are resolution-wise. As you scale the stamps on the tool hand, they take up more or less voxels.

Because you're dealing with volume, rather than a 2d pixel matrix like with photoshop, making the stamp bigger will have a much more pronounced effect on the number of voxels you're laying down and thus a bigger performance impact.

As you scale the layer, you'll notice the stamp will seem to change size accordingly. Eg if you imagine your stamp uses 100 voxels and you shrink the layer down, the stamp will seem to get smaller but it's still using the same number of voxels, it's just that you've effectively shrunk the size of a voxel.

The default sphere size I tend to find a bit on the big side so I'll always shrink that down a fair bit before I start sculpting. If you're scaling the layer at the same time, you're just complicating the issue. I'd suggest only scaling the stamp to begin with until you get a feel for it.

beldolor
Honored Guest
Ok, thanks for the tips 🙂 it makes sense and I everything seems fine at lower sized stamps. 

nosferalatu
Protege
For the performance issue in that video, it looks like the CPU is maxed out, and a CPU that's faster and/or has more threads will perform better. Medium uses the CPU to place stamps, and uses all available cores for that work. This work is directly dependent on the number of voxels touched--  in other words, the larger the stamp size, the more latency you'll have when placing that stamp.

We try to keep the framerate of the Rift headset high on the GPU as you're sculpting, but that means that you'll see some latency/lag with the application of the tools themselves. It's similar to in Photoshop when you perform a long operation and the program stalls but the mouse cursor is still moving at real time framerate.

And at the risk of pointing out the obvious 🙂 Medium's designed with the Rift's async timewarp and async spacewarp in mind, and leans on that to smooth out the framerate in the VR headset. I personally haven't used Medium on Revive and I'm not sure how well Medium works there.