cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radial Symmetry

Nekativ
Honored Guest
Since I have been unable to locate any suggestions or roadmaps regarding radial symmetry I figured I would throw it out there.

The lathe tool is awesome for round objects, but it is not ideal for accomplishing something like the exhaust of a jet engine.

202pmn05ixvj.jpg

I have made several attempts at trying to figure out how to accomplish this type of effect with the lathe and perhaps with several hours of practice I will be able to get a decent result; the issue with the lathe tool is getting the spacing perfect and selecting the right size for the element so the last element does not overlap the first element. If anyone has any advice on how to accomplish this easily with the existing feature set I am all ears.

There should be a tool where you can define an arbitrary axis in space and set the number of elements. All actions done with any brush should be duplicated and transformed around that axis. It would also be extremely useful if this tool could be used in conjunction with the existing symmetry tool; say as an example you are modeling a left and right engine at the same time.

qvq5qttszy2r.png

7 REPLIES 7

Roaster
Rising Star
f868oojwl7rm.jpg
I used the lathe tool. Using primitives as in 123D Design would be nice.
Round surfaces, or flat surfaces, or precision surfaces are the hardest thing to do freestyle.

nfiwhgqxytsh.jpg
many many hours

xi7ksrbta1u9.jpg
The engines are clones stuck on the wing best I could
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Defo +1 on the radial symmetry request. Not something I think I'd use a lot but it'd be damn useful to have nonetheless.

Roaster
Rising Star
One thing I found quite useful when using the turntable-potters wheel-lathe is some kind of steady-rest.
Think about that baton stick thing a lettering painter uses. Or the tool rest on a wood lathe.
One of the biggest impediments to precision work is holding your hand out free-style and trying to precisely control your movement.
I practiced using Medium's lathe doing pottery, vases, etc, and tried to make thin sections as smooth as I could.
I have a lab stand 36" tall with an adjustable clamp block I use to steady the hand while turning a piece. A tripod could be pressed into service too.
For the F-35, the jet nozzle becomes the centerpiece made first on the centerline and the rest is added to it afterward.
My attempt at turkey feathers is a monolithic shape that has the details painted on, and good luck to you if you try it with extra surfaces or parts.

i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
Radial symmetry is a tricky thing to handle, perf-wise! We hear you and we're thinking about it within the bigger picture of some infrastructural changes that will make Medium better in general. 

M3KZ
Honored Guest
I agree WE NEED RADIAL SYMMETRY 
It is a must feature for artists! 

shake128
Protege
radial symmetry is needed badly, I completely back this up. please help us out with this! ♥

catronomix
Explorer
Big +1 for this! Many mechanical parts have radial symmetry and it just doesn't look *right* when it's not applied mathematically correct (placed and rotated by hand)