cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparent/glass materials in medium?

eithman
Level 4
There have been so many things I have gone to make that require transparent materials like glass, water, gems, etc. I am just wondering why there is no way to make materials transparent or if that is even a possible update. The metallic and light materials have allowed me to make a lot of cool stuff, and I wonder if there are more kinds on the way or if it is not feasible.  
8 REPLIES 8

MattHickman
Level 8
We'd like to do transparent and translucent surfaces somewhere down the road. It's extremely expensive to process those materials though and at the moment we're focused more on sculpting performance as opposed to rendering tech. It's high on our list though for sure.

LZoltowski
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
For me Medium is a starting point, it is now my primary app for building up models. Once I am happy with a sculpt I take it into a 3d package and go from there.

I would highly recommend you look up some tutorials on the excellent free package Blender https://www.blender.org/

You can import your model into Blender (have your glass objects on separate layers) give them a glass material and render in that. It also gives you vastly superior rendering and lighting.

Best.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Henri1970
Level 5
i do sometimes wonder why things become transparent during export.

Sterling77
Level 8
Opacity would be cool >> but were dealing with Voxels here so I can see the challenge.. Maybe Opacity on the metal shader could work - lower overheads 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

LZoltowski
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Henri1970 said:

That's not really true transparency with refraction, just a flat opacity per layer.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

DreamShaper
Level 8

Henri1970 said:

That's not really true transparency with refraction, just a flat opacity per layer.

Not really sure what that means, but after looking at some images, it appears that is something like a grey-scale applied over the underlying layer?  Sort of like a light wash in painting?

If true opacity is too intensive, and this isn't, I'd use it as a slider setting. It wouldn't be perfect glass, but it would still convey that information enough to be useful.

If reflection is just computationally expensive for the affected area, it could be limited to a low bounding box area, the way a high resolution section is (and possibly converted to a regualar material on export if needed for printing or external render, since other renderers can apply the feature). 

Sankam
Level 4
I'd be perfectly happy with layer transparency as a stand-in measure. I don't need the full-render treatment for it right away, I just want to see a character's eyes through their glasses.

CubbyTeeth
Level 2

Transparent materials please. I've used PaintrVR, which offers transparent materials. This is really useful when you want to trace another form. It allows you to reference the form that's already there without occluding everything behind it.