Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
34 REPLIES 34

vrpat
Protege
8iens0ttja46.pngninsdbph183i.pngg358vzzza48z.png
oeilgec4ud3u.png

Since the "Ghost In The Shell" live action movie is closing in, I thought I'd make something for it. Though I tried my best to stay true to the anime, which it seems they are by the looks of the trailers.

This has basically been a study, where I have studied the animated movie and its concept art relentlessly, making sure to capture every detail. Which has been hard, because the animated film does not show everything from every angle, so I had to spend a lot of time freeze framing and coming up with solutions where there were none. Even found that a lot of other creative people trying to make the R-3000 went with totally different solutions for the spider tank's legs since they are out of view most of the time. But if you seek, you shall find.

I still have some details left on the "tail" etc and thought about coloring this as well. I'll post it here once I get back to it.

🙂

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
I'm totally not familiar with ghost in the shell but I don't think it matters. This is badass any way you look at it!

vrpat
Protege
x42vasy0zibu.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure @cybereality would appreciate this!

That's seriously epic!

monstersandmachines
Heroic Explorer
Great work!

vrpat
Protege
Thank you for all the positive feedback. I've kept working on it, and made a video presentation of the Ghost In The Shell scene. I hope you like it  :smiley:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtTPa470PUc

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
Yeah, this video presentation is super duper cool! Really captures a deliberate mood, and definitely piques my interest in Ghost in a Shell. 

The style sort of reminds me of Third and Seventh - https://vimeo.com/7809605. Drooooool.

Anonymous
Not applicable
woah that video is great, I'm guessing you didn't create it in Medium since it had smooth camera movements?

vrpat
Protege

FrozenPea said:

woah that video is great, I'm guessing you didn't create it in Medium since it had smooth camera movements?

I actually did it all in Medium. Here's how:
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a mannequin head a while back. So what I did was that I got one of my adjustable bar stools, and placed the mannequin head on the seat. Then I put the HMD on the mannequin head. I did this because I wanted the camera to be as still as possible while recording, since while wearing the HMD it is frankly impossible to be completely still. There are small involuntary movements that your head makes that can make the footage look not as "professional" as you'd like it to be.

Also inside Medium, I set the scene to rotate around its own axis. This can be a little complicated since I did this mostly while wearing the HMD, but for the best angle I had to acommodate the scene for the head which was placed on the chair. So it was a lot of back and forth between adjusting the angle, and scale and then switching on the rotate mode.

Some of the angles actually involved me rotating the chair on its swivel, but that was particularily hard to get right. If I was smart I would have duct taped the head to the chair, but I was not that smart. So I spent a lot more time on it than I wanted to.

But it all worked out in the end. 🙂