cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vector Colors in 3ds Max - Does not work?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm still unable to import vertex colors in 3ds Max. Has anyone been able to do this yet?

Here are the results when I show the vector colors. These are three different strokes of a single color each.

jm6zo1ceo0xp.jpg

Am I doing something wrong? The files was exported as a FBX with vector colors from Medium.
I was not able to find a single workflow description of going from Medium vectors to 3ds Max renders online. This is quite hard to troubleshoot. I've included the export.
8 REPLIES 8

hughJ
Protege
I would export to OBJ instead, that way you can open the file with a text editor and see what's up with the vert colors if it's still not working.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I exported it as an OBJ but zero colors came into 3ds Max. I would not know how to read an OBJ file's content to troubleshoot it.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
OBJ doesn't properly support vertex colours. Try fbx instead 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
I did and it did not work, see post #1.
HughJ suggested trying OBJ and I told him it did not work.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Sorry, missed that but, yeah, stick with fbx. I don't know max but I've used vertex colours in blender hundreds of times and it's always been fine. Maybe try another model as a control just to see if you got unlucky? 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've tried with a few models now and they all give this result. I'm more worried by the lack of official response from the Medium team.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
To be honest this forum has been dead for ages, especially now that Medium have moved over to adobe. Try the facebook group, team are pretty active on there and there a fair few pros who use max and should be able to get you up and running https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusmediumartists/

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've already posted with no luck.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusmediumartists/permalink/1333089163744613/

90% of the posts are art, so they drown out the technical questions pretty fast. My question is more aimed at official technical support than general users who are not likely to have an advanced workflow beyond Medium or who use software that seems to work for them (Blender, Zbrush, etc).