cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We could use an auto-weld vertice option in export...

elefantopia
Protege
Exported models are all cut up in separate meshes, along voxel meshing boundaries I think. Problem is when applying a displacement shader or poly reduction in the game engine the boundaries break up. It would be great that the boundaries are fused so this doesn't happen.
5 REPLIES 5

MattHickman
Rising Star
If you haven't already, worth posting this to the suggestions thread, we pull from that pretty frequently to factor into our road map planning.

LZoltowski
Champion

Exported models are all cut up in separate meshes, along voxel meshing boundaries I think. Problem is when applying a displacement shader or poly reduction in the game engine the boundaries break up. It would be great that the boundaries are fused so this doesn't happen.

I highly recommend Modo and it's auto-retopology function, they are using a special mesh building algorithm based on scientific research by the Zurich Institute of technology,  You can download the research ap itself as it can do auto meshing on it's own too, follow instructions on the git page (install binary and download the datasets) : https://github.com/wjakob/instant-meshes 

This is a super quick example:
Before RAW:
kxcl622dvvee.jpg

After: (lowered to only 10K polygons hence the loss of detail, you could bake a normal map to preserve it):

5pisjx5nldr7.jpg

You can also merge your layers into one in Medium and that will export it as a single mesh.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

elefantopia
Protege
I use instant mesh 🙂 It is nice to have auto-retopo but I found that it decimates too much in wrong places as you see in the cylindrical portions of your helmet.

LZoltowski
Champion

I use instant mesh 🙂 It is nice to have auto-retopo but I found that it decimates too much in wrong places as you see in the cylindrical portions of your helmet.

Yeah, I use an edge weight map to fix this to create extra detail on edges, I did the above as a quick demo screenshot.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

elefantopia
Protege
that's extra hand work I don't want to start relying on because when I iterate through 100s of models I would then need to redo this by hand.
what do you use to bake the highres mesh offset into a normal map?