cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble importing wavefront obj from poser 11

jmartin77777
Honored Guest
I'm trying to import an OBJ from poser 11 and getting an error message when I click 'import'.   Following the method described in the FAQ everything seems to work as expected until I actually click the import button.  Then I get a message saying it can't import my OBJ and mentions 'xanadu'.   I forget the exact message I got, but it did find the file.

Are wavefront objects from poser 11 not compatible with medium?  Or am I doing something wrong?   One of the original things that got me excited about the rift  was when I realized that I might be able to view my scenes & models inside a virtual space.   And now it seems so close, and yet so far 🙂

10 REPLIES 10

MattHickman
Rising Star
Hm, the Xanadu error is associated with uploading videos so that's odd. Can you describe in more detail what exactly is in that OBJ you're trying to import?

If you're trying to import OBJs right now we only support importing them as smaller stamps. We don't yet support importing entire scenes or larger meshes. This is certainly something high on our list we've heard from a lot of artists. 

jmartin77777
Honored Guest
That OBJ is just a poser figure model.  In poser 11 I just loaded the figure into the default working space and used the export command and selected wavefront obj.   When I exported it did ask if I wanted a single frame or multiple frames, since often users want to export animations (such as a walk or run loop).  But in this case I just said to export 1 frame.   It also prompted me to select the components of the model to be exported.  That menu would have allowed me to include the scene, but I just included the model.  But the model did have clothing and I selected them as well.

Would be nice if there was some way I could get this to work, but its still an amazing application even if it can't do this.  But I really do hope you work in easy imports of scenes and models from poser at some point 🙂

MattHickman
Rising Star
Yeah, we're working on bigger mesh importation but as you can imagine it's a big technical challenge taking a big polygon mesh and converting it to our voxel based system. 

johnboyjr
Protege
Think I know how to import it for you can you upload to drop box and I will try it to see

Fightdude
Explorer
I have only recently installed Medium, and I am encountering the same error. I have tried uploading many stamps for a kitbash project, and they all fail with the error message. Working with individual sculpts is a key part of my project pipeline, and this was a major reason I chose medium over zbrush.

The size of the file, or the editor I used to create it does not seem to matter. Without Xanadu, nothing loads.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer.

MattHickman
Rising Star
Are the OBJs you're trying to import quads by chance? 

Roaster
Rising Star
If the error is for uploading a video, and you're trying to upload one frame of a video, what's so strange about that?
I would think that uploading only one frame does not make it a simple object.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Fightdude
Explorer
Hi MattHickman! Thanks for responding!

I cannot speak to the OP's experience with Poser, but I feel like we are both encountering the same issue.

The error I'm getting looks like this:

Import failed for "PM3D_PolySphere": Failed to load stamp mesh: xanadu
#PM3D_PolySphere.obj

This was the message received when trying to load in a sealed sphere I created in zbrush. I get this error consistently with any OBJ file I attempt to import, from basic cubes and spheres to premade kitbash parts. All are sealed, and under the size limit described in the FAQ, and will open in other 3d programs. I have tried with over 400 parts and all get the same error. I really appreciate any help you are able to offer, and I'm willing to take any steps necessary to get this to work.

MattHickman
Rising Star
Can someone post a couple of the problem OBJs? I'm fairly sure it's because they are using quads which we don't support at the moment. 

You should be able to triangulate any meshes in another software and then import them.