cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16ft cable doesn't work, but 10ft cable works fine

KillerKoala78
Honored Guest
I've recently bought an Oculus Quest and I wanted to get the Oculus Link working with it as well. I've tried this with 3 cables and found something interesting. The first one I bought was the recommended 10ft Anker cable and it works great. But I wanted a larger cable so I went out and tried a 16ft cable and it didn't work. So I tried a different 16ft cable from a different company and same results. It seems the 16ft cable can't maintain a steady USB connection from the PC to the headset as it would connect then disconnect every few seconds making it impossible to launch the program properly.

So what are my options? I see some people bought an extension cable for their 10ft cable. Does it work and maintain a stable connection? And why would an extension work and not the full length of the cord work the same way?
3 REPLIES 3

bitzie
Expert Protege
Try a powered hub/repeater between the cable and the headset.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
The official Link cable is a bit over 15 feet and works fine. But as bitzie said, you may need a powered extension if you're using a lower quality cable. Also, the 16 foot one you tried might not have the bandwidth on it's own if it's not USB C 3.0, which again would indicate you might need a powered extension.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Beyond 10’ (3m), signal integrity degrades with a passive USB3 cable. You generally need an active cable (they contain a repeater to boost the signal) to go longer than that.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo