cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3080 Mobile

GatorTuba
Explorer

The Oculus software says that my computer does not meet the minimum specifications.

It is an Alienware m17 R4 with an RTX3080 16GB graphics card. One of the most powerful gaming laptops you can buy.

I tried using graphics settings to tell the executables to use the 3080 and not the Intel GPU with no luck.

How can I get it to work?

24 REPLIES 24

GatorTuba
Explorer

With a balanced config I got 44.03. Just got the laptop, I need to see how to optimize the performance settings.

PubG on max settings 4K runs about 120 fps

44 fps aren't bad - but of course not similar to the desktop 3080. Desktop GTX 1080 Ti usually scores about 42 fps, so that's very close. Surely you'll be able to play most games with great performance. Oculus will probably fully support the mobile 3080 in a month or two.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Raw graphics on flat screen vs vr resolution are 2 different monsters.

I doubt it does 4k 120 for pubg, do you have 4k monitor and 120 refresh rate.  But i will just take you at your word because you don't want want to hear anything negative about the alienware.

But vr, requires extra gpu poer because of barrel and distortion curve correction as it relates to vr headsets, coupled with the fact it has to render and encode the image down the usb 3.0 cable there are more computations required.

A bit better understanding

http://vr.cs.uiuc.edu/vrch7.pdf

Yes, I have an LG OLED C9 4k 120 on an HDMI 2.1 connection and PUBG was running at 120 fps maxed out.

I noticed that the benchmark was not maxing out the GPU for the VRBench. I will see how it does once I get all of the settings correct.

I am OK with hearing negatives, but it seems like all people want to do is bash the system without even trying one out.

Did you at least get the oculus app to recognize the correct video card?

Not yet. Using VR desktop but my WIFI is not top of the line.

I got my new cable in and plugged it into the thunderbolt port.

Oculus still complains but when I load steam vr using the cable it runs flawlessly. I tweaked my performance settings and got 50 fps from the benchmark. Probably will be able to get better results with some more adjusting.

Loaded up Half Life Alex and it looks amazing running over the cable. Buttery smooth with clean textures that were getting fragmented from streaming over Wi-Fi.

I can't load the virtual desktop but I can browse the apps that I own for oculus pc. I will download them later and see if they run.

50 fps is a great score - you'll need a desktop 2080 Ti to get about 57-58 fps. 

When you're done with Alyx, the Oculus software probably fully supports the mobile 3080 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

I'g going to run it again once I'm comfortable with overclocking the GPU and CPU

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just purchased the same Model laptop, and it well arrive this Wed.. after reading what your going through, I'm a bit worried... we're you able to use link cable to play games both from Oc store, and Steam VR ?? Are you getting any Micro stutters ??