cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please on wireless streaming

Grumble_Duke
Honored Guest
Hi Guys, some advice please on if I've bought the wrong hardware for low latency wifi streaming via Virtual Desktop.

This really is a case of learning on the go, so if you could help feed into my education that'd be grand.

I'm based in the UK, currently have the standard Vodafone router that came with the ISP package, wanted to boost the capabilities of the wireless streaming via Virtual Desktop.

Currently on Virtual Desktop, within the dash it reads "Currently not wired to a gigabite connection... performance will suffer".  I did some reasearch, looked on amazon for Gigabit routers, but in the end, went for a heavily discounted Huawei WiFi 6 router. HUAWEI AX3 3000 Mbps Wi-Fi Router, Quad-Core WiFi 6 Plus Revolution.

I'm a bit confused, for starters the connection still says "not connected to a gigabit connection...", but the connection quality has gone up from 5GHz | 800 Mbps to 5GHz | 1200 Mbps, BUT, what I was expecting the latency to go down - but it's still at the same rate at what it was, around 52 ms - everything I read prior to this suggested that should be around 20 ms.

Could someone be kind enough to explaine where I might have gone wrong.

- should i send the router back in favour of a TP Link Archers?
- is there something within the router/desktop settings I need to change to get the latency down?
- how has the connection quality improved so much yet the latency remains unchanged?
2 REPLIES 2

lensmandave
Superstar
You need to use your new router dedicated to your Quest. Here is a brilliant video explaining how to set everything up. This was a life saver for me and now I'm enjoying a great wireless PCVR experience. I'm using a tp Link AX1800 router.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2BKzO2qGX8
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Grumble_Duke
Honored Guest
Oh you star!

I've just this second come off it, but I'll definitely give this a go when I'm less fried.

Thanks ???????