Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Link Framerate Insurance (AFI)

lensmandave
Superstar

Interesting development coming for Quest 2

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/air-link-framerate-insurance-afi/

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
1 REPLY 1

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

So now the Q2 has 2x asw-like tools in the shed;

ASW that works through your PC and helps cover up rendering instability and AFI that works through the Q2 chip and helps cover up network instability.  AFI is only available for the Q2 btw.

I played around with the Oculus Desktop app PTC beta v39 today with my v38 Q2/rtx3090 using the new ODT Mobile ASW AFI option using Air Link.  The algorithm does not work with 120Hz yet but this is ok since I mainly use 80Hz anyway.  I tried different Air Link bitrates from 100-200mbps Fixed and Dynamic.  Normal ASW = disabled btw.

Without AFI I normally use 200mbps dynamic because I think this gives me the smoothest, stutter-free results with all my Oculus, Steam, and VivePort apps.  When I check my Win10 task manager network activity for the Oculus runtime (OVRServer_x64.exe) with 200mbps dynamic it's normally in the 140-160mbps range for most apps.  With AFI disabled I find that using 200mbps Fixed gives a little better clarity of distant objects but also produces a few performance stutters.

Enabling AFI let me run smoother at 200mbps Fixed but I started to notice the odd asw-like artifacts.  Like before, distant objects did look a little clearer but for most gameplay/sims I did not think the artifacts were worth it.  So, for me AFI does not seem to be very useful right now.  Maybe it will be more important for those users that have with several 5Ghz devices on their network (I'm the only 5Ghz user on my network).

Anyway, interesting tech and I think it shows that Meta is still very interested in PCVR.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers