cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airlink stuttering/bug

RareOcassions
Honored Guest

Got my Oculus Quest 2 on Christmas and been having a blast every since. I tried the AirLink feature because my brother wanted to play roblox on there.

It worked perfectly fine for the pass 2 weeks or so and suddenly began to run into some problems. Everything works fine outside from AirLink, games and what not, but entering AirLink, I’m greeted with the UI/Menu or whatever but everything is lagging like crazy.

Hand movements are very slow and choppy and when turning around I see a black screen surrounding me as if it hasn’t rendered out everything. I’ve let it sit for an hour or so for it to maybe load but that didn’t help. I literally factory reset my Oculus Quest 2 and tried it again which still gave me the same problem.

I am not sure how to fix this or where to even start to diagnose the problem. Currently the device is sitting on the latest update.

10 REPLIES 10

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Pretty hard to say when you don’t mention your pc specs and router/WiFi setup (like if your pc is Ethernet wired to your pc).

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ninjag78
Protege

I never had much luck with AirLink and my setup is reasonably powerful. At first I tried using the built in WiFi on my x570 Tomahawk motherboard and despite being a WiFi6+ 160Mhz card, Windows was throttling it even after doing some tweaks etc.

After many recommendations on here, I went with Virtual Desktop and it's pretty much flawless. It also has performance monitoring which helps pin point what's going on (i.e. network, computer performance etc)

If it helps here's my current setup which gives me smooth, lag free gaming. The only issue I have now is broken focus due to the recent updates. 😭

Give Virtual Desktop a try and check the box for performance overlay. Hope this helps.

Ryzen 5 5600X with 32GB Ram DDR4 3600 with a GTX1660 Super set to 80% power o/c in MSI Afterburner.

ASUS TUF AX5400 router set for 5GHz WiFi connection to Quest 2.

• The router also connects to my computer via CAT6 which so the Quest 2 and communicate with it.
  • The router also connect to my home network (BT Smart Hub 2) via CAT6 to my wall jack so that the Quest 2 and Computer can connect to the internet through the AX5400.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nevermind their specs... The whole oculus is one big bug! Whenever you mention lags and freezes, it always falls onto the consumer's system. Never the beta/experimental/buggy software they spit out these days. There should be no reason why the Quest 2 is still freezing and glitchy via AirLink in 2022, not to mention enabling it under EXPERIMENTAL(?!). I have the same issue and it's far from my internet connection which is Gig1 (gb/s). And it's far from my system. Any closer to the router, the router would be on my head!!! I always have my system connected via ethernet, so it's not the wifi. Basically, what I'm saying is... when someone replies that it must be this or that to the consumer, 9 times out of 10 it's absolute BS! It's Facebook giving more of a **bleep** about taking money than actually fixing existing issues that should have been fixed 4 years ago! And to think that it's £299.99 is pathetic, seeming as the library on the actual Quest store is useless or just full of young american kids using constant bad language. One thing I regret ever doing is getting this crap hardware in the 1st place. Well done to Mark f*ckerberg for taking people's money for rip-off products made in China!!!! I cannot stand the guy!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't worry mate, i'm sure it's nothing to do with your hardware. I have the same issue. It's the crap Quest 2 hardware that is well below average and no hope in any future fixes for the issues that should have been resolved years ago!

Ya, absolutely nothing to do with poor/low pc specs, lol!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

randallrobert123
Honored Guest

This fixed quest 2 stutters for me. This is a windows 11 fix that isn't widely know for some reason.

go into your oculus/support/occulus-diagnostics directory

open OculusDebugTool.exe

open the service menu at the top and click "Toggle  console window visibility"

click yes to everything.

It'll restart oculus if its open and a window with scrolling text will appear that has to remain open on the desktop and can't be minimized

This "fix" has to be repeated everytime you open the oculus software

Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course they play a huge part. But considering the oculus used integrated graphics and VR games rely on CPU, GPU and PC ram, one wouldn't be able to open a VR app or game if the system is not VR capable. This has nothing to do with the things that causes the stuttering etc. Sure there are temporary fixes. But it's all to do with the refresh rate and res encoding of the VR headset. There's a reason why Airline is enabled under EXPERIMENTAL FEATURES. - for a VR  headset in 2022 this is unacceptable.

That works for me. but only for about a day it stopped working completely the same stutter came back and wasnt fixable

Hey there! We understand how important Air Link is to gameplay, and we want to help you get to the bottom of this, so if you could please visit our support site and submit a ticket. When submitting a ticket, please make sure to include all details regarding your issue. Thanks! We look forward to hearing from you. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!