cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative USB 3/C for bad ports. (Quest Link)

Ozryn
Honored Guest
I have tried to use the 2 USB 3/C ports on the back of my motherboard and neither of them even register to the Link software. I have updated all the drivers for the GPU, MoBO and USB controller so I have a pretty good idea that either the MoBo is one of the .1% that is incompatible or the ports themselves are bad. I am currently running it through the USB 2 port with the new update but still have the "Yellow exclamation" for my connection but would like that lovely "Green check mark" and was wondering if buying a PCIe card would be a possible fix for me assuming the cable is good. What speed or compatibility would I require? Are there any other things to consider? Would it even make a difference?

Any and all advice or help would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure at least some other people would be interested in this option. Thanks for your time. 
3 REPLIES 3

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Assuming you have verified you have USB3 in device manager, you might be suffering from the issue in v17 that reports USB3 as USB2 on some computers - there is nothing you can do except wait for a fix via update.

What is disturbing is that the USB3 port don't even  register the device.  Are you sure you are pushing the plug in all the way, and have you turned it around and tried, as USB-C is supposed to be used either way its inserted.

Other than that I have no clue - hopefully someone else will come in and advise.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I’ve seen several people complain that Link doesn’t work with their C ports. I use a USB3 A-to-C adapter; it only cost a few bucks and works perfectly well in my regular A-type USB3 ports. That might be something to try before spending more money on a PCIe card. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
FWIW my Sons computer (that claims its USB3 in device manager) is detected as USB2 in the oculus software.  No doubt we will look in to this later after work.  (mines ok though) 🙂 he he he.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.