cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Idea on when Oculus Quest AR SDK Releases? Any way to get early access?

nemesiswes
Explorer
I really want to test it out on the Oculus Quest 2 I got with an idea I have had for awhile which I have tried on phones but it just doesn't work quite right due to no Depth and no Stereo. Passthrough on Quest 2 is perfect for what I need, just need access to it in unity or something. I thought about getting a Zed Mini but I don't want to have to spend $400 when Oculus will be releasing a AR SDK soon from what I have heard. Is there a way to get access to early versions of it? I don't care if it's buggy as hell, I can work with that as long as it's kind of working, lol. Just need to get it working with Unity and I'm all set. I really just need to be able to see the world, black and white is fine, set points for objects to stay attached to and the rest is easy.
4 REPLIES 4

Crazy_Sane
Superstar

I can't find any reference to an Oculus AR SDK. The only mention of AR is related to the passthrough home environment, which is a very rudimentary AR.

Although you could try asking in the developers forum. This is the community forum. Qualcomm did market the XR2 as being capable of amazing hybrid AR/VR. The tracking cameras aren't good enough for proper AR, but are good enough to place virtual objects over real ones.

nemesiswes
Explorer
I don't even care about proper AR, just having access to the cameras would be great. The quests tracking is good enough to stick an object to some coordinates around you just like you would with a object in VR except with the real world as the background.

kojack
MVP
MVP
The only mention I can find of it is an article on UploadVR with no source saying it's coming this year.
It will be a bit limited though, since the cameras are quite low quality (grainy black and white).

The Zed Mini is cool (I've got one), but it won't be usable with a Quest, it requires a Nvidia GPU since all of its software is Cuda based. You might be able to get the raw video stream passed in to the Quest as a webcam, but then there would be no depth info, surface detection, tracking, etc.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Nekto2
Superstar
I do not think they will allow access to cameras at all. That is too risky.
But it is possible they will add pass-through background. Last OC has a demo of virtual desktops overlayed on real world grey passthrough.
You may need your own additional camera to get video in your app.