cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Virtual Desktop Performance

JohnClass
Level 3
I just got a Quest 2 for Christmas and have been wanting to play Half-Life: Alyx. I found that when playing a game like Pavlov or The Lab, I would get around 50ms latency and 70fps on the virtual desktop low quality setting. When on mid setting, FPS drops to around 45 and latency shoots up to 80, becoming unplayable. . Upon checking task manager, I found that Pavlov was only using 65% of my GPU while the streamer app was using 100%. I'm assuming this is above 100% because one part of the GPU is responsible for encoding while another does rendering (or something along those lines.) Is this the best performance I can get? With this performance, I probably won't be able to run Half Life Alyx. I have a 5ghz router and my PC has an RX 570 8GB, Ryzen 3 3200g and 16GB RAM. I know these specs fall below the minimum specs, but I've seen it run decently okay with similar specs. What would I need to upgrade or change so I could be sure I can run Half life Alyx? Thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES 3

Crazy_Sane
Level 8

There's a reason why Oculus haven't implemented native wireless streaming. You will never get the performance that a $20 cable can provide.

Do yourself a favour and buy a 3 to 5 meter (10 to 15 feet) long Anker USB C cable. Then you'll be able to run Half Life Alyx. You can thank me later.

PS: If you haven't already, try an Oculus game called Lone Echo. It's as good as HLA, but half the price. One of the best games I've ever played.

JohnClass
Level 3
Thanks for your answer, I actually got a new CPU (Ryzen 2600) and a dedicated router and it runs fine (mostly). There is the occasional stutters and some latency, but I don't notice it too much so it works well for me. Also, I've played Echo VR on the Quest store and really enjoy it so I might give Lone Echo a try.

Strongit
Level 7
To get the best performance make sure you are connected to 5ghz and that the channel is set to the 3 digit range.  My quest 1 caps out at 400 mbps in the lower channels but gets the full 866 in the higher range.
Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz