cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery discharges while connected with link cable

thesilverspyder
Explorer

I'm about to return the Quest 2 and go back to my Rift S. I assumed that with a link cable the Quest 2 would charge or stay charged while I play, but it drains the battery in a matter of hours. It makes me have to stop playing to chage, this is unacceptable. I have a USB C to C cable that's capable of 3A and a USB C port that's version 3.1 and capable of 3A output. I have an Asus Maximus VIII Hero. And I'm reading on Reddit and other forums that users with the official Link cable from Oculus are having the same issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TwrchTrwydd
Adventurer

I did some research and found out that this is a known bug well documented here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Support/Link-not-supplying-power-to-Q2/td-p/853725

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TwrchTrwydd
Adventurer

That your USB-C Port is "capable" delivering 3A does not mean it really delivers 3A.

I have not seen any USB-port yet on PC nor on Laptop delivering more than 900 mA.

You may want to install the utility "USBdeview" on your PC/Laptop and monitor how much power really is drawn.

Interestingly, after I downloaded USBdeview (thanks for that) the Quest 2 shows it's power output as 0 mA, but it's still charging so that can't be accurate. What are my options when my hardware is capable but underperforming? I've seen suggestions of using battery packs, but then where would I put the link cable?

Interestingly, after I downloaded USBdeview (thanks for that) the Quest 2 shows it's power output as 0 mA, but it's still charging so that can't be accurate. What are my options when my hardware is capable but underperforming? I've seen suggestions of using battery packs, but then where would I put the link cable?

TwrchTrwydd
Adventurer

thats a bit strange because my Quest-1 pulls 496 mA when in standby.

btw the "power" reading in USBDeview means power INput to the attached device (not OUTput).

As for the problem with attached battery pack and link cable - in this case you would have to use AirLink as soon as it is generally available or Virtual Desktop.

Do some reading on these topics......

How can you tell how much it's pulling? I thought USBDeview would do that. I've been doing nothing but reading on this for days.

Seems like if I let the link cable charge the unit up to 80%, it stays there and that's normal. But if I start using it from there it will drain. If I charge it up to 100% with the wall adapter and THEN connect the link cable, it will only drain to 80% and stay there. 

TwrchTrwydd
Adventurer

I did some research and found out that this is a known bug well documented here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Support/Link-not-supplying-power-to-Q2/td-p/853725